EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Orlando shooting

< Return to subforum
Page: 16789Most Recent
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 6:00 AM
Krazy: So, if an atheist moved to north carolina, they would have to become a Christian or leave?
That doesn't sound right.
Don't say this country wasn't founded on Christianity.
It wasn't, you can practice any religion you want.
Crow
By Crow | Jul 1 2016 6:06 AM
Krazy: They aren't genuine questions. You know that God exists.

They are genuine questions, and you are being a weasel.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 1 2016 6:20 AM
Bi0Hazard: So, if an atheist moved to north carolina, they would have to become a Christian or leave?
Excuse me, sorry. They had to "acknowledge" God, not necessarily believe in His name to be saved, although it could have meant that. In New York, if you "deny the true God and his Attributes", you would be put to death. If you don't believe me, research "The Duke of York's laws 1665-75".

It wasn't, you can practice any religion you want.
Just because you can practice any religion you want today doesn't mean this country wasn't founded on Christianity.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 1 2016 6:55 AM
Krazy: They had to "acknowledge" God, not necessarily believe in His name to be saved, although it could have meant that.
Let me rephrase that. To be saved, you have to believe in His name, Jesus Christ, accepting Him and trusting Him in faith as your personal Savior to take the penalty for your sins. But the state didn't necessarily require you to believe that. They just required you to "acknowledge" God (or believe that He exists) in order to be a citizen. Although they could have meant the previous one. But again, New York issued the death penalty for those who denied God and His attributes.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 7:11 AM
Krazy: If the government doesn't establish any religion and allows you to practice any religion you please, then that is a secular state, which the U.S. is a secular state. In order for the U.S. to be founded on Christianity, it would have to establish Christianity as its religion. The constitution is what the U.S. was founded on, and it prohibits establishment of religion, therefore, the U.S. was not founded on Christianity.
Crow
By Crow | Jul 1 2016 7:14 AM
Bi0Hazard: He is beyond logic.

Just bathing in a pool of ignorance and self-hatred.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 1 2016 7:25 AM
Bi0Hazard: The constitution is what the U.S. was founded on, and it prohibits establishment of religion, therefore, the U.S. was not founded on Christianity
It prohibits federal establishment. But the States can do whatever they want. And that's what they did. The very beginning of the first amendment states: "Congress shall make no law...". It says "Congress" can't make a law respecting an establishment of religion.

That's why many state constitutions declared that they preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 7:29 AM
Krazy: They just required you to "acknowledge" God (or believe that He exists) in order to be a citizen. Although they could have meant the previous one. But again, New York issued the death penalty for those who denied God and His attributes.

What is interesting is that today, New York has one of the lowest christian populations out of the 50 states and is one of the most liberal.
I am not talking about in 1665 or in the 1800s when Christianity was mainstream. I am talking about its founding, which was not on any religion, if you don't believe me, read the constitution.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 7:33 AM
Krazy: Then that settles it, you admit there is no federal establishment, just that state constitutions declared to be religious(which are not religious anymore anyways). The constitution protects freedom to practice whatever religion you please. The U.S. as a nation wasn't christian, but was in population(and still is largely christian).
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 7:35 AM
Krazy: Also, and I hope you agree, I am glad they don't punish you for practicing a different religion or not being religious at all in the U.S.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 7:42 AM
Bi0Hazard: Oh yeah, and the death penalty isn't even allowed in New York anymore.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 7:56 AM
Krazy: By the way, just a curious question, do you support this flag?:

Here is another common design(Battle Flag :(

Basically, do you support the southern cause(and no, I am not calling you a racist, its just that you seem to believe in some of their causes).
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 1 2016 8:06 AM
Bi0Hazard: The U.S. as a nation wasn't christian...
Then why did the U.S. Supreme Court say this?

[T]his is a Christian nation.
-Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 143 U.S. 465, 471 (1892).
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 1 2016 8:09 AM
Bi0Hazard: Let's take it one topic at a time. Don't change the subject. Answer my question in my previous post.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 1 2016 8:59 AM
Krazy: In that decision, Justice Brewer said this:
These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation. 143 U.S. 457 (1892) -Justice Brewer
In his book, Justice Brewer wrote this: But in what sense can it be called a Christian nation? Not in the sense that Christianity is the established religion or that people are in any matter compelled to support it. On the contrary, the Constitution specifically provides that 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.' Neither is it Christian in the sense that all of its citizens are either in fact or name Christian. On the contrary, all religions have free scope within our borders. Numbers of our people profess other religions, and many reject all. Nor is it Christian in the sense that a profession of Christianity is a condition of holding office or otherwise engaging in public service, or essential to recognition either politically or socially. In fact, the government as a legal organization is independent of all religions. Nevertheless, we constantly speak of this republic as a Christian Nation--in fact, as the leading Christian Nation of the world. This popular use of the term certainly has significance. It is not a mere creation of the imagination. It is not a term of derision but has substantial basis--one which justifies its use
As you can see, he believes that calling the U.S. a christian is justified, but admits that it is not in the sense of established religion. So, no established religion and admits that it isn't christian even in the sense that most in the U.S. are christian. The fact that the constitution prohibits establishment of any religion shows that the U.S. doesn't have any christian identity.
It is easy to cut off a quote and misrepresent what this judge thinks.

As for the confederate states, I wasn't trying to change the subject, I just wanted to know if you agree with them. It has a lot to do with states rights.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 1 2016 11:11 AM
Bi0Hazard: Your first quote wasn't where I got it from. It was this:
[N]o purpose of action against religion can be imputed to any legislation, State or national, because this is a religious people....[T]his is a Christian nation.
And he said in the second quote that the term "Christian nation" has "substantial basis--one which justifies it's use".

Could you provide a citation for where you got your second quote?

By the way, just a curious question, do you support this flag?
Basically, do you support the southern cause...
I support the ability for the States to seceed from the Union; but not racism, if that's what your asking.

...you seem to believe in some of their causes).
Like what?
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jul 2 2016 5:59 AM
Krazy: Your first quote wasn't where I got it from. It was this:
[N]o purpose of action against religion can be imputed to any legislation, State or national, because this is a religious people....[T]his is a Christian nation.

And he said in the second quote that the term "Christian nation" has "substantial basis--one which justifies it's use".

Could you provide a citation for where you got your second quote?

It's the same supreme court case.
The quote I provided was from Justice Brewer's book, The United States: A Christian Nation, he like you believes the U.S. is a christian nation but recognizes that it isn't in the sense of established religion or Christian people, which is what I am saying. The constitution prohibits establishment of religion, so it would be called a secular state. I wouldn't base my views on what a supreme court justice thinks, it is still just opinion.
I support the ability for the States to seceed from the Union; but not racism, if that's what your asking.
Then that answers my question.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 3 2016 8:24 AM
Bi0Hazard: The U.S. constitution doesn't allow you to practice any religion you want, it just leaves that issue up to the States. That's it.

For example, that's why the Carolina constitution required that you had to believe in God in order to be a citizen. And it's why many state constitutions declared the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Page: 123456789Most Recent