EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

China Hack

< Return to subforum
Page: 123456Most Recent
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 10 2015 3:53 AM
How should the U.S. respond? (I made a similar thread on DDO but 2 measly posts was all I got.)
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 10 2015 3:58 AM
In my opinion, the U.S. should inform China that if such a hack which is almost certainly perpetrated by China is committed again, then the U.S. Government will declare all public and private U.S. debt to China to be void. If they threaten to respond by cutting off all trade to the U.S. then the U.S. should proceed anyway, whatever the cost is to its economy.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 3:58 AM
Dassault Papillon: Can you describe the hack? Usually I hear about these things in the news, but this bypassed me
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 10 2015 4:03 AM
Blackflag: Of what I heard, personal information from 4 million former and current Federal employees was stolen. Experts are almost certain that China is behind it, and that China has been hacking the U.S. since 1985.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 10 2015 4:06 AM
Link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/chinese-hackers-breach-federal-governments-personnel-office/2015/06/04/889c0e52-0af7-11e5-95fd-d580f1c5d44e_story.html
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 5:20 AM
In my opinion, the U.S. should inform China that if such a hack which is almost certainly perpetrated by China is committed again, then the U.S. Government will declare all public and private U.S. debt to China to be void.
Then where will we incur the debt to pay off our other debtors?
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jun 10 2015 7:26 AM
Blackflag: Since this violation of Chinese sovereignty would be the result of a Chinese violation of American sovereignty, it shouldn't make the U.S. seem untrustworthy. And to reassure the world, we could then pay off some of the debt that we owe to others.
admin
By admin | Jun 10 2015 10:55 AM
Dassault Papillon: By improving their cyber-security? Wouldn't this be logical?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 10 2015 10:56 AM
Dassault Papillon: You've got to remember, these are the SAME experts who were also almost certain that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 12:39 PM
admin: A deterrent but not a solution.
admin
By admin | Jun 10 2015 12:40 PM
Blackflag: Yes it is a solution. It prevents hacks from happening again.

Everything else in this thread is retaliation, not a solution.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 12:41 PM
admin: Normally I would agree with you, but it is no secret that China has been hacking into our corporate and government cyberspace for almost two decades now. To be fair though, these are not the same experts? The experts who trusted one torture confession as evidence enough to invade Iraq are no longer considered experts.
admin
By admin | Jun 10 2015 12:43 PM
Blackflag: Well I'm sure the US government has disclosed their completely credible evidence that this is the Chinese government as opposed to Chinese individuals then.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 12:44 PM
admin: So what are we going to do, funnel trillions of dollars into creating an iron clad firewall for every government agency and major corporation in America? What about the 100's of billions it will take for research and development to be able to maintain that firewall in the face of radical technological advancement?

I maintain that increasing the budget of cyber security will not stop hacking on US protected secrets, it will only slow down, or if we are really lucky, deter some attacks.
admin
By admin | Jun 10 2015 12:47 PM
Blackflag: Well why don't you think the US doesn't hack China? Because their government communications are filtered as part of the Golden Shield Project, employing hundreds of thousands of people. If America doesn't want to take cyber security quite that seriously, that's fine, but then they can't whine that their secrets are marginally less secure.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 12:48 PM
admin: We can't be skeptical to the point of ignorance. I would bet all my money on it.
Unless you are claiming that it is more realistic that a revived Secret Society of the White Fist is launching high grade cyber attacks on US military and corporate secrets?

The amount of evidence we have on Chinese cyber attacks, especially from Unit 61398 is mindblowing. Look it up.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 12:51 PM
admin: Well why don't you think the US doesn't hack China? Because their government communications are filtered as part of the Golden Shield Project, employing hundreds of thousands of people. If America doesn't want to take cyber security quite that seriously, that's fine, but then they can't whine that their secrets are marginally less secure.
I would love to see you in charge, wasting every last penny of US tax dollars fighting off an unstoppable wave of Chinese hacker attacks simply because your pride wouldn't let you admit that increasing the budget on cyber security is a deterrent, not a solution.

If you want to advocate for spending trillions of dollars on cyber security, which is how much it would take to put an end to cyber attacks, then feel free to just say so. Don't try whine when the global economy collapses.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 12:53 PM
China has also hacked all its other neighbors. Including the Phillipines, India, and even New Zealand (5 times that we know of)
admin
By admin | Jun 10 2015 12:55 PM
Blackflag: Dude, I've probably looked it up more than you ever have. It's not mindblowing. It comes down to about 3 IP addresses used in a small number of attacks. Unlike the US, who created Stuxnet, Flame and hundreds of other viruses to steal secrets from other countries, and who have publicly admitted responsibility.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jun 10 2015 12:59 PM
admin: Then you are either full of shit or looking these things up in all the wrong places. There are 100,000's if not a million suspected Chinese hacking attempts on US corporations alone. Are you saying that everyone of them is wrong? Don't be skeptical to the point of ignorance. There's no possible way you are going to convince a single victim of illegal internet espionage that the Chinese Government isn't a major problem facing cyber security and the global economy.

You are supporting the bad guy at the expense of the victim. Which is something that a lot of dicks do in rape cases.
Page: 123456Most Recent