EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Transgender bathroom law

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 8:32 PM
admin: Gender identity is personal, gender is factual. I'm pretty convinced at this point that 100% of your argument comes from you not understanding the distinction between gender identity and gender.

*Facepalm*

I gave several good reasons why gender and gender identity are undeniably associated. I am guessing the only reason they haven't been refuted, is because you cannot actually comprehend the arguments.

Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 8:35 PM
Okay, can I at least get you to agree that identifying as a gender based only on how one feels, is assigning stereotypes to the way the sexes think and function? At very least, I'll get you to admit transgenders are sexist.
admin
By admin | May 29 2016 8:38 PM
Priest of Swag: Your arguments to date are:
1. If you think differently you're mental (to which I said, this does not follow)
2. It is baseless (to which I said, that's the whole point, it is undefined)

You haven't done anything else.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 8:46 PM
admin: It is baseless (to which I said, that's the whole point, it is undefined)

I must of said two dozen times that...

1. There is an english based definition of the word "identity," and that it isn't undefined (according to reality)

2. My claim is actually based on something; A factually correct association with someone's real life gender. There can be no other claims that are not based on conjecture. You are the king of conjecture.

You are being willfully ignorant at this point.

admin
By admin | May 29 2016 8:50 PM
Priest of Swag: And your definition of identity was not exclusive with my definition of gender identity. Gender can still be different.

As an aside, a definition is a conjecture, as is all language. We use systems of expression to help us make sense of difficult concepts. There is no set in stone reason gender identity must be undefined or the oxford dictionary must always be correct. In this case however it's pretty clear that the limitation imposed doesn't identify anything real, like a name, place, gender, background etc.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 9:04 PM
admin: And your definition of identity was not exclusive with my definition of gender identity. Gender can still be different.

It was 100% exclusive. My definition from Oxford College, stated that one's identity has to be based on factual information. Your definition was just personal preference.

Not once have you made an argument for why feelings should take precedence over facts, which is why I am reaffirming that facts do indeed take precedence over feelings. That is why my definition is better than yours, since it is based on something real, and not something conceptual.

As an aside, a definition is a conjecture, as is all language.

They are rooted more in establishment than your arguments.

Not to mention very little of my overall point relates back to my definition being correct, but as simply being a better interpretation than any others out there. Going back to the last rebuttal.

admin
By admin | May 29 2016 9:10 PM
Priest of Swag: My arguments are rooted in the very opposite of establishment - I don't think a definition can be established. People identify with being a triangle for their gender and nothing in your argument supports that. That's a problem with the definition. You claim it's redefining but your premise is that a definition exists in the first place.

It has nothing to do with facts or feelings or precedence. An identity is whatever you identify as, a claim of actuality as opposed to actual fact. Identity is a concept. This is like saying pollution cannot include water pollution because pollution is just a concept, not something tangible.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 9:14 PM
admin: An identity is whatever you identify as
And if you do not identify based on what is factually correct, but by how you feel, then you are mental. Like I said.
admin
By admin | May 29 2016 9:17 PM
Priest of Swag: Again, doesn't follow. It's based on the same faulty premise, and besides which, being mental is totally different from being wrong.
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 1234Most Recent