EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

English nation titles are incorrect

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:23 PM
Why isn't China called "Zhongguo" (the Chinese word for China)? Why isn't Japan called "Nippon" (the Japanese name for Japan)? Why isn't Germany called Deutschland (the German name for Germany)?
Why the English-dominated country names?

Do you think that this should change? Please explain your answer.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:31 PM
Dassault Papillon: The German, Chinese, and Japanese government determine what they will be known as. The decision is based on pronunciation, spelling, and the usage people speaking English used to refer to these countries
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:34 PM
Blackflag: So why not make their countries's official names what they're actually called instead of letting English-speaking people dictate what their countries will be called?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:38 PM
Dassault Papillon: What if I told you the same thing happens for French Countries. Even Deutschland has other names for countries.

admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 12:38 PM
Dassault Papillon: "What they're actually called"

This is inaccurate. Germany is actually called Germany if you're speaking English. Dictating that one word - the original-language word - must be used for one thing is imperialist and absurd.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:43 PM
admin: It is the complete opposite of imperialism, actually. It is contrary to the name imperialism of the English-speaking world.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:44 PM
Blackflag: What I suggested would avoid confusion then. People speaking 17 different languages would call the same country by the same name.
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 12:45 PM
Dassault Papillon: But English doesn't force anyone to speak English while saying the country name. Why should Japan force people to speak Japanese when saying the word "Japan"?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:47 PM
admin: It's an act of respect towards the people who live in said country and speak that language. Also, like I stated above, once this change is implemented worldwide it would avoid confusion.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:47 PM
Dassault Papillon: The reason we call them by their official names is to avoid confusion. English people had been calling the region of Deutschland, "Germany" for most of history. The city of Istanbul was actually the Turkish name of Constantinople long before the city fell. Seeing a pattern?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:48 PM
must be used for one thing is imperialist and absurd.
Saying the topic is absurd is going a little to far. He's not the first person to have wondered this.
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 12:49 PM
Dassault Papillon: But it is imperialist. It's one people forcing their values of "respect" on another.

If you want to avoid confusion, you might as well have one global language.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:51 PM
admin: If you enter China you are expected to be able to speak the Chinese language (though this often is not the case). Same principle.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:52 PM
Dassault Papillon: It is a double sided coin. You can argue we should respect other cultures. Admin will continue to argue that they should respect ours.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:53 PM
Blackflag: They do. They call England England, the United States the United States, and so on.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:55 PM
Dassault Papillon: Deutschland calls Great Britain, GroB Brittianien
China doesn't even pronounce San Fransisco with even a resemblance of its actual name
Thumbs up from:
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 12:57 PM
Dassault Papillon: I just don't see what's so disrespectful about it. There's nothing inherently bad about the word "China".

In NZ there was a movement at one point to rename everything to Maori place names, because Maori named stuff first. Eventually people did the smart thing and realized that there was no need for argument and that we could actually just call stuff whatever we wanted. Aotearoa and New Zealand are both official names for this country, with more or less equal standing (and actually, the sign language term for New Zealand was recognized too when we made sign language an official language).

The biggest respect you can show somebody is to give them the freedom to speak in whatever words they like, so long as they are not being mean or hurtful, and let be.
Thumbs up from:
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 12:58 PM
Blackflag: They should, and we should call their country Zhongguo. Germany should called England "England", and England should call Germany "Deutschland". I'm not suggesting that you go to jail or anything like that for using the improper name, but those should become the generally accepted names of countries.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Dec 16 2014 1:04 PM
Dassault Papillon: Then again, England's proper name is "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". The concepts of the words "United" and "Kingdom" are not English concepts (rather, those are just the English words for such concepts). Thus, the words "United" and "Kingdom", in describing England, wouldn't have to be said in English. Likewise, "People's Republic" in "People's Republic of Zhongguo" could be said in whatever language you speak.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 16 2014 2:27 PM
I 100% agree with Admin on this one, most languages have a name for the various countries. The older the relationship with said country, the more likely it is that the name mirrors the "native" name.
To us it looks like all the countries, (except Cote d'Voire) are given English names because we speak English. If we spoke Japanese, you'd find that all the countries get Japanese names.

I'm fine with this, and I don't think it's disrespectful at all. To the contrary, it's incredibly polite of everyone to allow foreigners to use their own name for the country. If you would like to reciprocate, you could always use their name when speaking to them, but I don't think it should be forced. I like the way the swedish word for Sweden sounds, so I always use that one.

Also, you should understand that England is a separate country. Great Britain and the United Kingdom are names for a different territories.

If we're looking for ways we can show other nations we respect them, there're probably quite a few more glaring ones we could do before we adopt their native names. For example, stop invading them and telling them their system of government is wrong...
Thumbs up from:
Page: 12Most Recent