EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Euthanasia Supporters..

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 30 2015 10:30 PM
Wrongdoers must be oppressed
Why? Are you personally offended by someone who does drugs?

Is authoritarianism bad?
Hell yeah, authoritarianism is bad!

Are you saying that harm to another person is what defines right and wrong?
No, it defines what should be legal and illegal.

If they know that there is a law against suicide, it will send a message to them that what they are about to do is wrong so that they will straighten their act up and reconsider their actions or potential actions.
People committing suicide already know society doesn't approve of their actions. Society is usually the reason they commit suicide.

Suicide should be illegal because laws reflect the moral fabric of society
I would be more concerned with our individual moral fabric. Society is just a made up concept to begin with.

The sole guilt of committing an illegal activity can be enough to deter some people from committing it.
So we are making masturbation illegal now?

What determines right and wrong?
According to you, its the bible
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 31 2015 4:15 AM
Blackflag: Why? Are you personally offended by someone who does drugs?
My personal feelings are irrelevant. The point is, laws naturally oppress criminals. Laws punish criminals, or "oppress" them, if you will. That's the nature of laws: to restrict liberty (like jail time or death penalty) for their wrong actions.

No, it defines what should be legal and illegal.
So something can be immoral but should be legal?

People committing suicide already know society doesn't approve of their actions.
Yes, they know that what they're doing is horribly wrong. That's why I don't like a lot of suicide prevention organizations who say that it's not "wrong" to kill yourself and that you need help is all. If people get affirmation that it's not wrong to kill yourself, that is another reason why they will do it. Some suicide prevention organizations are, ironically, encouraging people to commit suicide.

Society is usually the reason they commit suicide.
No, people committing suicide is usually the reason they commit suicide.

I would be more concerned with our individual moral fabric.
Yes, that's what we're talking about: people committing suicide and it's morality.

Society is just a made up concept to begin with.
All words are made up.

So we are making masturbation illegal now?
I don't really see the relevance between masturbation and euthanasia, but since you initially brought it up, alright. I really don't care if it was illegal. There could be a small fine. Or some sort of financial penalty.

According to you, its the bible
I was asking what you think, not what I think.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 31 2015 4:27 AM
Blackflag: Society is usually the reason they commit suicide.
No, people committing suicide is usually the reason people commit suicide.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 31 2015 1:10 PM
Okay, well you are clearly a social-authoritarian, so appeals to liberty and freedom aren't going to do me much good. I am not in the mood to make a whole case on how restricting liberty is dangerous.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 31 2015 2:26 PM
Blackflag: I'm all for having less laws and having more freedom. But the sad thing is that, like in the United States for example, people are getting less and less moral. Only a moral people are able to keep a free country. Once the people of the United States stray more and more away from it's biblical foundation, the less moral the people become and the more laws are required to regulate our sinful behavior.

As Benjamin Franklin, signer of the U.S. declaration of independance, said:

Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 31 2015 2:30 PM
Blackflag: John Adams, second president of the U.S., says something similar:

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
Page: 123Most Recent