EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Euthanasia Supporters..

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
RXR.
By RXR. | Jul 29 2015 12:22 PM
If people have a ''right to die'', then why don't we legalize suicide booths ? Why give a bunch of depressed terminally ill patients the special treatment ? Also aren't doctors suppose to save lives and not end them ?
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 4:54 PM
RXR.: If people have a ''right to die'', then why don't we legalize suicide booths ?
Non-profitable and a lot of lawsuits probably. They would also be quite barbaric.

? Why give a bunch of depressed terminally ill patients the special treatment ?
I don't know the answer to that, they shouldn't have personal treatment in my opinion.

Also aren't doctors suppose to save lives and not end them ?
I wasn't aware anyone was supposed to do anything
admin
By admin | Jul 29 2015 8:02 PM
Blackflag: I wasn't aware anyone was supposed to do anything
Yeah, society has these things called laws nowadays, you may have heard of them.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 8:07 PM
admin: But saying a doctor is "supposed" to save someone? Can I say cops are "supposed" to do community service on sundays.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 8:10 PM
admin: Oh, and you don't "have" to follow laws. In my country it is quite easy to bypass federal mandates and laws. A lot of people do it, including bypassing federal income taxes. Viva la Revolution!
admin
By admin | Jul 29 2015 8:12 PM
Blackflag: In India the whole public service does. Even Modi.

The point is sometimes people are supposed to do things. Doctors are usually bound at a minimum by their own oath, and more often than not by statute.

Of course you "can" break laws, but you are "supposed to" follow them.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 29 2015 8:17 PM
Stag:Yes, doctors are "supposed" to save people. They're "supposed" to do the right thing. We all are. Are cops "supposed to do community service on sundays"? No, because not doing so is not wrong.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 8:24 PM
admin: Of course you "can" break laws, but you are "supposed to" follow them.
Yeah, I don't get where you are deriving "supposed to" from. I decide for myself what I am "supposed" to do.

@Krazy , Not saving people is bad? I supposed we are all bad people for not getting our medical degrees.

And who really defines salvation anyways. People commit suicide searching for salvation, and as a society built on the foundations of liberty, I think we should respect those decisions, even though we don't necessarily agree with them.
admin
By admin | Jul 29 2015 8:26 PM
Blackflag: You said before:

I wasn't aware anyone was supposed to do anything

I'm saying laws are examples of things we are supposed to do. Making you aware :)
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 8:29 PM
admin: I'm saying laws are examples of things we are supposed to do. Making you aware
I said to RXR that I wasn't aware that Doctors were supposed to do anything

You stated that laws are supposed to be followed like it implied something

Did that offshoot statement imply something? IDK, but I'm just making it clear that doctors as individuals don't have to do anything.
admin
By admin | Jul 29 2015 8:31 PM
Blackflag: No. You said you were not aware, and I quote, "ANYONE" ... was supposed to do, and I quote again, "ANYTHING".

But for that matter, doctors as individuals also are supposed to follow laws. Just like every other individual in the world.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 8:33 PM
admin: But for that matter, doctors as individuals also are supposed to follow laws. Just like every other individual in the world.
No, you have it backwards.

Laws are supposed to make doctors follow them.

Doctors decide for themselves what they are "supposed" to do
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 29 2015 8:37 PM
Stag:

"Not saving people is bad?"

If you have a dying person in front of you, and you have the tools and equipment and power to save him, and choose not too, then yeah it's bad.

"I supposed we are all bad people for not getting our medical degrees."

It's the intent that counts. If you don't have the knowledge to know how to save him, there's nothing you can really do and it's not wrong. But if you know how to save him, and have the power too, and you choose not too, that's nearly the equivalent to murder.

"People commit suicide searching for salvation,"

More accurately, they commit suicide to escape the pain of life. And the murder of oneself is always wrong. That's what suicide is: self-murder.

"And who defines salvation anyways."

Um...a dictionary.

"and as a society built on the foundations of liberty, I think we should respect those decisions, even though we don't necessarily agree with them."

We should never respect wrongdoing or wrong decisions such as the taking one's own life.
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 29 2015 8:38 PM
How do you make that quote box?
admin
By admin | Jul 29 2015 8:42 PM
Blackflag: No, external obligations exist I think you'll find. I doubt any court of law would not convict a doctor because of this argument.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 29 2015 8:42 PM
Another note to what you said, "And who defines salvation anyways."

It's just common sense, if a patient is dying, try to save them.
admin
By admin | Jul 29 2015 8:43 PM
Krazy: Two methods:

1) surround text with [ quote ] and [ /quote ], minus the spaces

2) Have the "Enable-Auto-Quoting" checkbox enabled, and copy/paste text into the box.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Jul 29 2015 8:46 PM
admin: Thanks!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 8:46 PM
If you have a dying person in front of you, and you have the tools and equipment and power to save him, and choose not too, then yeah it's bad.
What if he's not dying, but asks for help killing himself. Is it bad if he wants to die?

More accurately, they commit suicide to escape the pain of life.
Yep, that's the salvation I was talking about. Some do it for other reasons too, but that is the main one.

And the murder of oneself is always wrong. That's what suicide is: self-murder.
Understood, but you are doing that thing where you think you know what is best for other people in their lives.

We should never respect wrongdoing or wrong decisions such as the taking one's own life.
Then you don't have to respect them, but you do have to live with them. It is essential for the preservation of our own liberty that we don't control actions directly related to ones individual.

Um...a dictionary.
preservation or deliverance from harm, ruin, or loss.

Exactly. I'm pro-choice on salvation. You?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 29 2015 8:48 PM
No, external obligations exist I think you'll find. I doubt any court of law would not convict a doctor because of this argument.
Obligations don't exist. Laws are "strong" arguments, but they aren't obligations. And there are a lot of doctors who have helped with assisted suicide and later went to jail. I think you'll find these unjust laws are oppressing a lot of doctors who got in the field to help people, so many of them aren't following.
Page: 123Most Recent