EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

74 cent wage gap bullcrap

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
sea_shell
By sea_shell | May 21 2015 8:34 PM
Blackflag: You are telling me that New Zealand makes a distinction in how it funds a black man from Ghana and a black man from the United Kingdom? Even worst...

No, we make distinctions between the indigenous people in Aotearoa and minorities of other countries. We are required to under our treaty. And to make reparations for the slapping way they were treated by the European settlers.
I'm not sure if I trust anyone who doesn't have their face as their profile.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 7:47 AM
admin: I've challenged everyone who says race doesn't matter to explain why 100m sprint winners at the Olympics are almost all black. I'm yet to hear any good excuse.
Because track and field is a popular sport in Eastern and West Coastal Africa...
The fact that they are black doesn't make the slightest difference. Not a lot of Sahel region or Southern African track and field gold medalists. Just like how Russia, Canada, and the United States control the gold medals for hockey, and other white nations like France, Italy, and the United Kingdom don't.

This is perhaps the worst modern argument I've ever seen on race, and that is not an exaggeration. A near EXACT same argument was made by segregationists in the 60's and we had to learn about it in senior high.
admin
By admin | May 22 2015 7:57 AM
Blackflag: Except that doesn't account for the fact that track and field is also a popular sport in other parts of the world. People in those regions of Africa - and their descendants, who happen to be many black athletes in places like America or colonies like Jamaica - just happen to have extra muscle fibers in their body that other people don't. It's a genetic advantage. http://www.livescience.com/10716-scientists-theorize-black-athletes-run-fastest.html

I'm not arguing a correlation with skin color, but with RACE. There's a difference. An albino person with otherwise the same genes also has that genetic advantage.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 7:59 AM
@admin - Point being, it has almost nothing to do with skin color, and almost everything to do with where you were raised and where you are currently living. In a world where most civilized people don't factor in race in how they treat others, racial laws of any sort should not exist. I said this earlier, but if I was a black man living in Eastern Europe or Asia, places in which I am much more likely to be discriminated against based on the fact that many of them have never seen a black person, I would support affirmative action in those countries.

No, we make distinctions between the indigenous people in Aotearoa and minorities of other countries. We are required to under our treaty. And to make reparations for the slapping way they were treated by the European settlers.
Like I said to admin earlier, I do not consider reparations to be examples of affirmative action, at least not in the generally accepted context of the word. Reparations are an endowment for wrongdoings that personally affect the person in which they are being payed for. African Americans of today are not in chains or segregated, and the last two generations of Americans have been tolerant towards people of other races.

The debate on affirmative action just pops up more debate on race when in reality the country needs to be more focused on going on with life not thinking about race. Racism at this point is a societal problem, and not a government problem. Especially when government solutions are discriminatory and can affect the opportunities of white people.
----
On another note, I would be willing to debate that former colonial powers should be paying reparations to their former colonies.
admin
By admin | May 22 2015 8:01 AM
Blackflag: Point being, it has almost nothing to do with skin color, and almost everything to do with where you were raised and where you are currently living
you need to learn the definition of a genetic advantage. As skin color is correlated to hereditary, so too are genetic factors related to certain types of athletic ability inherited. That was my point. Races have different bodies.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 8:13 AM
Except that doesn't account for the fact that track and field is also a popular sport in other parts of the world. People in those regions of Africa - and their descendants, who happen to be many black athletes in places like America or colonies like Jamaica - just happen to have extra muscle fibers in their body that other people don't. It's a genetic advantage.
Extremely ignorant. If track and field was popular in a countries like Scandinavia, where the people also have sturdier bodies and extra muscle mass, I am sure most of the gold medals would be going to scandinavian countries, which are predominantly white. If you haven't figured it out, race IS not what you should be looking at.

You pay attention to the fact that these people are black, when you should be paying attention to the fact that certain people that come from certain regions in Africa are good at track and field. Also, contrary to your own ignorant beliefs, the majority of gold medals in the Olympics are not held by black people.

I'm not arguing a correlation with skin color, but with RACE. There's a difference. An albino person with otherwise the same genes also has that genetic advantage.
Jamaicans are generally descended from Abyssinian and Kenyan slaves. But...

What about the 40% black people in Cuba? Black people in the Windward Islands? The large black population in the Middle East? Black people living in the Sahel Region? Black people living in Papua New Guinea? Race does not matter. For such a smart person I find it shocking that you are advocating for such an exhausted and ignorant segregationist viewpoint.

I also find this argument moot. Affirmative action laws are in relation to college admission and financial aid. Unless you are going to tell me that black people are genetically disadvantaged mentally as well, pff
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 8:15 AM
you need to learn the definition of a genetic advantage. As skin color is correlated to hereditary, so too are genetic factors related to certain types of athletic ability inherited. That was my point. Races have different bodies.
You need to learn that you are arguing for heredity and not race. Where people come from and not what skin color they have. Exactly what I've been trying to shove in your face the whole discussion
Lol...
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 8:21 AM
the majority of track and field gold medals are not held by black people
*Fix
admin
By admin | May 22 2015 12:04 PM
Blackflag: You're arguing the skin color. I'm arguing that certain races that happen to have certain traits (such as a skin color) happen to have certain other traits (such as more muscle fibers in some parts of their body). Nor am I arguing affirmative action - I am simply arguing your dumb idea that all races are exactly the same in all ways other than appearance.

That does not mean black people are more muscular, or win the majority of athletic competitions. It's just a natural advantage in one particular select competition, the 100m sprint to be exact. And I might add, Kenyans do amazingly well in track events.

Nothing about this impacts on public policy. I'm just saying not all races are equal. Genetic differences exist between races. Since you bring them up, Scandinavians aren't genetically inclined to extra muscle mass (Finns tend to not be that gigantic, so it's just a stereotype) but they tend to have stronger immune systems, for example having stronger protection against HIV than other races.

All this being said, I think we actually have a lot of agreement here. Race refers to where people come from, not skin color. And if that's all you've been trying to shove in my face, then we can agree, because skin color is only one hereditary racial marker.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 2:31 PM
You're arguing the skin color. I'm arguing that certain races that happen to have certain traits (such as a skin color) happen to have certain other traits (such as more muscle fibers in some parts of their body). Nor am I arguing affirmative action - I am simply arguing your dumb idea that all races are exactly the same in all ways other than appearance.
You don't know what race is then. Race is skin color, it always has been. You are arguing heredity, which is stupid since you made the claim that race matters, not that heredity matters.
Not all black people have the same physical traits, because all black people aren't descended from the same ancestry or location. Deal with it.

That does not mean black people are more muscular, or win the majority of athletic competitions. It's just a natural advantage in one particular select competition, the 100m sprint to be exact. And I might add, Kenyans do amazingly well in track events.

Once again you are generalizing black people... I can confirm that the 100's of black people I pass by each day are no more varied then the white people I pass by each day

Nothing about this impacts on public policy. I'm just saying not all races are equal. Genetic differences exist between races. Since you bring them up, Scandinavians aren't genetically inclined to extra muscle mass (Finns tend to not be that gigantic, so it's just a stereotype) but they tend to have stronger immune systems, for example having stronger protection against HIV than other races.
The US government did studies in the early 60's to disprove people who claimed that races are genetically superior, both physically and mentally. All of them concluded the same way. Every cultural group has genetic variety, whether they are a Negroid, Caucasoid, or Mongoloid.

Guess what, Finnish people are not a race. You have no clue what race is which is why everything you say sounds completely ignorant.

There are generally six classifications for race. Black being one of those classifications. Having black skin color doesn't make you a good 100mm sprint runner. Having Kenyan heredity might. Having Burndian heredity might not. YOU ARE ARGUING HEREDITY

Do you know how hard it is for logic to defeat ignorance?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 2:34 PM
This is by far the stupidest thing I've ever argued with you. What do I need to say before you realize that not all black people are genetically better at running, just like all white people don't have a genetically higher IQ than black people, just because on average a white person is more educated than a black person.

Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 2:34 PM
Btw, your argument is based on a false statement like I said earlier. The majority of olympic track and field medals aren't held by black people.
admin
By admin | May 22 2015 7:10 PM
Blackflag: No. "Race" simply means "a group of people who share phenotypical characteristics". There is no discreet classification - it is socially defined. Seriously, whoever is teaching you that race refers only to one characteristic - namely skin color - is the ignorant one here. There's a lot more phenotypes to share.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | May 22 2015 7:11 PM
Blackflag: Yes, but the vast majority of 100m sprint medals ARE. I never made the claim of all track and field medallists.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 22 2015 7:57 PM
Blackflag: Do you know how hard it is for logic to defeat ignorance?

Lol, I think I have some idea...
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 9:16 PM
admin: No. "Race" simply means "a group of people who share phenotypical characteristics". There is no discreet classification - it is socially defined. Seriously, whoever is teaching you that race refers only to one characteristic - namely skin color - is the ignorant one here. There's a lot more phenotypes to share.
Like what? To my knowledge, the only thing that is genetically the same among every person of any of the six racial classifications is skin color. You are generalizing black people as being good at track and field, which is INCREDIBLY ignorant.

Okay then, all white people are genetically smarter than black people. Know of a rich black nation, didn't think so?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 9:19 PM
Lol, I think I have some idea...
Well, less than .5% of your population is black, so I don't blame you guys
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 9:24 PM
Yes, but the vast majority of 100m sprint medals ARE. I never made the claim of all track and field medallists.
Want to know something intresting? That's wrong as well. White people win again in that category for most gold medals.
If you really want to know why there are a lot of Kenyan and Jamaican gold medalists (once again, only kenyan and jamaican), it is because track and field is the most popular sport over there. Not because they are black. Look it up, or don't. I have all the time in the world to debate your unsupported views that black people are genetically superior at running 100 meters.
admin
By admin | May 22 2015 9:26 PM
Blackflag: There's not six defined racial classifications. You're making that up. As I said, the class is not discreet. Rather, race is a socially defined grouping. 100 years ago, race meant what country you were from. 1000 years ago, it referred to language. Today, it refers to phenotypic genetic characteristics.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 22 2015 9:30 PM
So I want to debate this right now. I've already wasted my time verifying that your incredibly stupid argument is wrong with 5 different scientific studies (not to mention the dozens I have read in the past). I feel pretty confident that common genetic traits are not found throughout any race excluding skin color.
Page: 123Most Recent