EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Ask a Catholic

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 6 2017 3:47 AM
dsjpk5: It depends on how you define "species". Can you elaborate?

You are being obtuse.

What do you have against the dictionary definition?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 6 2017 3:50 AM
dsjpk5: Jesus would have been a part of he Davidic line via adoption.

Joseph was not of David's line.

For an apologist, you are not much of one so far.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 6 2017 3:53 AM
dsjpk5: To put it simply, the God I believe in can multitask. He can be engaged with my issue and a starving child's issue simultaneously.

Perhaps, but those children and babies died anyway so that negates your multi task.

Are glib answers all you are good for. It certainly seems so.

Regards
DL
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 12:22 AM
Greatest I am:
It speaks against your tradition, not mine.

First, I guess you have dropped your "spark of God" claim. Second, concerning tradition, my point is that the verse only decries one tradition (not all).

You then post a bunch if verses without offering your commentary. That's not an argument.

You have no way of knowing anything about the supernatural.

Sure I can. I experience God every day.

That is why your own scriptures say that God is unknowable and unfathomable.

Chapter and verse, please.

Exactly what are you claiming Proverbs 3:12 is saying. How do you believe it defeats my position. Again, simply posting a verse is not an argument.

So you call yourself a Christian while ignoring most of what is written and what created your ideology.

I would assert I'm not ignoring anything.
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 12:29 AM
Greatest I am: I have no problem with the dictionary definition. I wasn't sure if that's how you were using the word. Let's go over the first definition from dictionary.com:

noun, plural species.
a class of individuals having some common characteristics or qualities; distinct sort or kind.

With this in mind, no, I don't consider God to be part of a species. I say this because the definition specifically says a species requires the existence of more than one individual.
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 12:35 AM
Greatest I am: Yes he was. From Matthew 1:

12 And after the deportation to Babylon: Jechoni′ah was the father of She-al′ti-el,[g] and She-al′ti-el[h] the father of Zerub′babel, 13 and Zerub′babel the father of Abi′ud, and Abi′ud the father of Eli′akim, and Eli′akim the father of Azor, 14 and Azor the father of Zadok, and Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eli′ud, 15 and Eli′ud the father of Elea′zar, and Elea′zar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob, 16 and Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called Christ.
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 12:40 AM
Greatest I am: Perhaps, but those children and babies died anyway so that negates your multi task.

How?

Are glib answers all you are good for. It certainly seems so.

Bad arguments are easy to deflect.
Subutai
By Subutai | Jul 7 2017 2:48 AM
dsjpk5: 1. From what authority does the Pope derive his own authority from? In other words, why is the Pope, above everyone else in the world, able to have the position that he does? I understand that the first Pope, Peter, was appointed as such by God, but what about successive Popes? Where do they derive their authority from?

2. I know Catholics don't believe in predestination. What is a Catholic's typical argument against predestination?
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 7 2017 5:03 AM
dsjpk5: Chapter and verse, please.

You have not read your bible have you.

Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. (Ps. 145:3)

Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand? (Job 26:14)

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isa. 55:8–9)

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?" (Rom. 11:33–34; cf. Job 42:1–6; Ps. 139:6, 17–18; 147:5; Isa. 57:15; 1 Cor. 2:10–11; 1 Tim. 6:13–16)

Exactly what are you claiming Proverbs 3:12 is saying.

Exactly what it says.

So far all you have given is B.S. Get better or I will get lost.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 7 2017 5:09 AM
dsjpk5: With this in mind, no, I don't consider God to be part of a species. I say this because the definition specifically says a species requires the existence of more than one individual.

So if God is not a part of our species, what he did with mary when he cuckolded Joseph would be called bestiality. Right?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 7 2017 5:13 AM
dsjpk5:

God coveting Mary was a sin. Do you agree?

Regards
DL
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 8:06 AM
Subutai: From what authority does the Pope derive his own authority from? In other words, why is the Pope, above everyone else in the world, able to have the position that he does? I understand that the first Pope, Peter, was appointed as such by God, but what about successive Popes? Where do they derive their authority from?

The Church follows the example of the Apostles when they found a replacement for Judas and his office:

And they prayed and said, “Lord, who knowest the hearts of all men, show which one of these two thou hast chosen 25 to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside, to go to his own place.” 26 And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthi′as; and he was enrolled with the eleven apostles.

2. I know Catholics don't believe in predestination. What is a Catholic's typical argument against predestination?

Since the Bible speaks of predestination, Catholics accept it. The question is whether or not our version coincides with protestants. What version are you referring to?
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 8:18 AM
Greatest I am: Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable. (Ps. 145:3)

Unreachable isn't synonymous with unknowable.

Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand? (Job 26:14)

This does seem to say we can't know the extent of His power, but that's not the same as His entire being. Sure,there's some things we can't fully understand about God, but that doesn't mean we can't know anything about Him. Fir example, I may not know anything about calculus, but that doesn't mean I don't know anything about mathematics. I know 2+2=4.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isa. 55:8–9)

Just because His ways are higher doesn't mean we can't know something about them. For example, LeBron James may be a better basketball player than me, but that doesn't mean I can't know anything about his game.

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?" (Rom. 11:33–34; cf. Job 42:1–6; Ps. 139:6, 17–18; 147:5; Isa. 57:15; 1 Cor. 2:10–11; 1 Tim. 6:13–16)

Again, unsearchable isn't synonymous with unknowable.

Proverbs 3:12...

Well, since Proverbs 3:12 doesn't refute anything I've said, there's not much I need to say.

dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 8:20 AM
Greatest I am: No. There was no physical contact between Mary and the Holy Spirit.
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 7 2017 8:58 AM
dsjpk5: Unreachable isn't synonymous with unknowable.

Wrong word and B.S.

You cannot know what you cannot reach. Now you are just lying.

but that doesn't mean we can't know anything about Him.

It does mean that you cannot measure his attributes and are thus likely wrong on what you are speculating on.

Logic does not seem to be your forte. Better to just stick with lying.
Pardon my lack of patience because I do not suffer lying fools well.

For example, LeBron James may be a better basketball player than me, but that doesn't mean I can't know anything about his game.

More garbage as we are talking more of mental attributes.

We are done buddy you are way to much for me

You are likely the worst apologist I have seen in a long time.

Regards
DLi
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 7 2017 9:01 AM
No. There was no physical contact between Mary and the Holy Spirit.

An egg needs sperm and you ignore most of my question on his coveting which makes you also dishonest.

Good by.

Regards
DL
dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 9:19 AM
Greatest I am: Wrong word and B.S.

You cannot know what you cannot reach. Now you are just lying.

Sorry for the typo, but my argument remains. For example, I may not be able to search a black hole, but that doesn't mean I can't know anything about them

It does mean that you cannot measure his attributes and are thus likely wrong on what you are speculating on.

It only mentions His power, not all His attributes.

More garbage as we are talking more of mental attributes.

No. We're talking about all His attributes.

dsjpk5
By dsjpk5 | Jul 7 2017 9:24 AM
Greatest I am: An egg needs sperm and you ignore most of my question on his coveting which makes you also dishonest.

Who said an egg was involved? Do clones require egg and sperm? And since when is a God of infinite power limited in how He creates? And since when did we ever mention coveting?
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Jul 7 2017 9:39 AM
More garbage from a liar who has to redefine all words.

Regards
DL
admin
By admin | Jul 7 2017 2:33 PM
Both of you, but especially Greatest I am - watch out for personal attacks. Keep it civil. If you want to go, just go. :)
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 1234Most Recent