EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Is Welfarism Effective?

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 23 2015 10:44 PM
I can honestly say that I've never even heard anyone from New Zealand suggest we should not have things like free education or universal healthcare.
But I am sure you have heard of New Zealanders who have not payed all their taxes. Do you support some kind of punishment for them?

If my society doesn't want this system, the mechanisms are in place for them not to have it. I'm good with that.
Let's say that 90% of people are all for government paying health insurance companies. The 10% that do not agree and are subjected to taxes are not your society, and are therefore negatively impacted by this policy.

Because I like this system better. It ensures that a good minimum standard of healthcare is available to ALL Kiwis, regardless of economic status.
Charities can't do that. I mean, the government is kind of like a charity, but one that is tied to a position of power.

Also charities are more than capable of covering the 20% of New Zealanders who will need financial help paying for healthcare costs at some point or another. The other 80% will likely never have trouble paying for their own healthcare, yet retain the benefits that would be more beneficial in the hands of those who will have trouble paying for healthcare.

That is why I like the US system of healthcare better

1. No
Well I did look at elements of your tax code, and I can confrim that is false for 95% or so of people. Potential health expenses refer to everything that wouldn't normally be covered.

1. No
Well I did look at elements of your tax code, and I can confrim that is false for 95% or so of people. Potential health expenses refer to everything that wouldn't normally be covered.

admin
By admin | Sep 24 2015 10:40 AM
Blackflag: So you're saying 95% of people pay more for administering a system to reduce healthcare costs than those healthcare costs are actually reduced?

Let's put that into perspective. Roughly 258,000 people in New Zealand live with diabetes. This group ALONE is more than 5% of the population. These people pay vastly reduced costs for each unit of medicine due to Pharmac - they also typically get an additional subsidy on their medicine on top of that with the Prescription Subsidy Card. If they become very sick, they become eligible for additional benefits and support to help with hospital costs etc. You're saying this group pays more in taxes for administering this healthcare system, than they receive in benefits?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Sep 24 2015 10:44 AM
admin: Not to mention further benefits they could be eligable for, like the Community Services Card, Child Disability Allowance etc etc, you get the point.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 24 2015 10:52 AM
You're saying this group pays more in taxes for administering this healthcare system, than they receive in benefits?
What I said, was that the vast majority of people in your country will pay overall more in taxation than the government will cover for their healthcare during their lifetimes. I stick by that claim.
Page: 12Most Recent