EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Top 10 American Cities (With Conditions)

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 19 2014 2:22 PM
Name your top 10 American cities. Possibly with a link to some pictures for each one. One condition. The city must either be the largest in a state, or a state capital. I repeat. The city must either be the largest in a state, or the state capital.
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 19 2014 2:23 PM
Oh, they can be US territories also.
admin
By admin | May 19 2014 2:48 PM
Priest of Swag: What would be your list?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 19 2014 2:57 PM
Here's my attempt at giving this a go.

1: Detroit, because its my hometown. To bad literally half the building have been abandoned. It does have high real estate now, as a positive.

http://pixzard.com/detroit-city-skyline/

2: San Juan, a mexican paradise in the Carribean. Will be a great state capital one day.

3: Miami, due to its beautiful resorts, beaches, women, and real estate. Its has the largest metro, so I'm putting it up.

4: New York, the cultural melting pot of the world. So many people, immigrants from other lands, living in a extremely dense urban metropolis.

5: Los Angels. Whoever hasn't been to Los Angels, has truly never lived a full life. Beaches, Santa Monica, Hollywood strip, east side gang wars, and a wealth of superficial Americans.

6: Newark, just because I'm a fan of industrial playgrounds. Still kind of a chemical and steel $hithole, but a $ making one

7: Honolulu, a great port in the middle of the pacific. I would argue its the most developed city in Oceania, besides Sydney.

8: Chicago, which is Detroit culture times 10. Great food and events, and the tourism center for Canadians.

9: Washington DC. GO there if you want to be mind fvcked by the founding fathers, and good old American Liberty.

10: Houston. Hate Texas, but this place is pretty amazing.

Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 19 2014 3:04 PM
Honorable Mentions....

Charleston: Southern culture is pretty awesome when taken in small doses.

New Orleans: Jazz music, sea food, southern racists.

Atlanta: Wow, can't believe I forgot this one.

Denver: Great stop for skiing

Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 19 2014 3:14 PM
Places I would want to go to, but not for extended periods of time....

Little Rock. If you like Racism, football, and good old white pride, go to Little Rock

Anchorage. If you like living up in the artic circle, than this is the place for you. Still pretty amazing how a city could be built so far up north. Alaska is the cultural epicenter of the Artic circle nations (Russia,Norway,Canada). I still don't get why Canadian Nunavut is such a waste. They should learn from Alaska's example. I once had a dream of living on America's last frontier.

Haganta. A pretty nice port in Guam. Its not developed enough to be a major tourist destination, but it seems alright living on the micronesian atoll.

Seattle: This one should actually go in honorable mentions. Such a beautiful city. My Allah!

Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 19 2014 3:15 PM
admin: I put up around 18 cities already
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 20 2014 1:54 AM
Priest of Swag: I'd take exception to Honolulu bring the "most developed in Oceania aside from sydney", partly because Melbourne, Brisbane and Canberra are all more developed than sydney and also because despite what Wikipedia says, most of us in the south Pacific don't really consider hawaii part of oceania. They never come to our poker nights.

The only US cities I've been to that meet your criteria are Baltimore, DC, Vegas, Houston and LA. I agree that DC was very nice but I probably haven't been to right parts of the others as none of them would really rate above, "alright" for me. So DC FTW for me!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 20 2014 6:52 AM
nzlockie: My criteria? You don't think Seattle, Los Angeles, and New York fit your criteria? We have multiple cities larger than Australia.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | May 20 2014 9:24 AM
Priest of Swag: Some of these cities are dens of vile villains with bestial residents who would stab their neighbor in the back if given the chance. Their homes are trash and in a lot of cases the only place worth noting is the downtown region which hides the obstreperous' libido for the contemptible

New York is an interesting place but I would recommend it the least out of all the cities I have been to. I would rather go to a crime ridden city with semi-friendly residents than a city fit for the rude and ugly. A city with the pockets of the wealthiest and poorest of the United States all within the same city with residents trampling each other like animals being herded to the slaughter.

References:
Personal Experiences in Chicago, Washington DC, New York, and Newark.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 20 2014 9:53 AM
Tophatdoc: I don't share your concern. It depends where you go. You'll be fine in Manhattan, but not Harlem. Newark is ok downtown and the upper suburbs. Chicago is pretty bad, but gang activity is low. The gangs are pretty non-violent, with well set borders, with every city block controlled. LA also benefits from having tightly knit gang blocks.

Every city has its good and bad parts. Your chances of getting shot are minimal
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | May 20 2014 11:53 AM
Priest of Swag: If you say so. I have been to NYC over hundred times or more for work. I am 95% sure I know what I am talking about when it comes to Washington DC and NYC because I have worked in both places. I have been to Chicago once and I saw someone get mugged a few minutes after Igot out of a cab. I have only been to Newark twice, so I am not going to comment.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 20 2014 11:57 AM
Tophatdoc: As I said, as long as you know where to be, than your fine. This risk exists in all big cities though. Its very hard to contain crime in places with huge populations, and close quarters. I understand your feelings on some of these cities. A black person is much more likely to be a victim of crime in NYC for example.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | May 20 2014 11:58 AM
Priest of Swag: LOL that is hilarious. I live in a place far worse than NYC. Any person who has been on my show[NND] or talked to me on skype knows that
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | May 20 2014 11:59 AM
Priest of Swag: Also that is not true for big cities. I can name nuerous large cities taht have little to no crime.
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | May 20 2014 12:00 PM
Tophatdoc: numerous* that*
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 20 2014 1:56 PM
Priest of Swag: Huh?
Your criteria was that they had to be either the largest city in the state or the state capital. I live in nz and I only go to the us a couple times a year for work. As a result, I don't have a lot of experience with the cities that meet your criteria. I'm not going to comment on a city I haven't been to!

Not sure why it matters that the US has larger cities than Australia? I brought those cities up because I think they are more developed than Sydney. Better transport etc. Your comment was you think Honolulu was a more developed city in the Pacific than any other city aside from maybe sydney. My comment was that sydney is not even the most developed city in Australia, let alone oceania!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 20 2014 2:10 PM
nzlockie: No, I thought your base of reasoning was that these cities, were of lesser prestige of those of Australia. It seems you were talking only about Honolulu, in which I concede. Outside of Australia and Auckland, Honolulu is the most developed Oceanic city. Granted.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 20 2014 2:31 PM
Priest of Swag: Contested. Out of the oceanic cities* not in Australia and not including Auckland, (a city which is far worse than Honolulu btw) I'd say both Apia and Noumea have better development than Honolulu. By which I mean better public transport systems, lower crime rates and better utilities. Apia has expensive Internet though so that might sail it pretty close to the line. Maybe I'd swap Apia for Pago Pago. The only thing is Pago Pago airport sucks.

* given the lack of populated areas in Oceania outside of australia meeting the population requirements for a "City", I've extended the premise somewhat.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 20 2014 2:41 PM
nzlockie: In fact, in Oceania out of all the state capitals/largest cities that I've visited, I'd say the only ones that Honolulu beats are Auckland, Wellington, and Darwin.
Page: 12Most Recent