EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

How slow is Edeb8 for you?

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jul 1 2017 10:49 PM
And are there any pages that are particularly slow? Or is it everywhere?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Goldtop
By Goldtop | Jul 2 2017 3:02 AM
admin: Just joined here and have noticed that whenever I click any link, I see the "Waiting for Edeb*" status down in the left hand corner of my screen, which remains there either for several seconds up to around 30 seconds.
admin
By admin | Jul 2 2017 3:08 AM
Goldtop: One of the trade-offs of having a site with zero income / having no money myself / the site being rather complex and full of bells+whistles is unfortunately that sometimes some slowness is inevitable, especially when multiple people (logged in or not) are online and want stuff from the server. I'm trying to prioritize those pages that seem to be slowing things down the most.

That being said, 30 seconds is pretty awful.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Goldtop
By Goldtop | Jul 2 2017 3:22 AM
admin: Don't know if it helps or not but whenever I see that status happening on a regular basis, I run Adwcleaner or Junk Removal as it is often a greebly that was somehow deposited in my browser.
Subutai
By Subutai | Jul 2 2017 4:05 AM
Yeah, I've been having connectivity issues on all pages and across multiple devices. It's always slow (at least compared to other websites), but the time it takes to load pages can run anywhere from a few seconds to over a minute.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jul 2 2017 5:41 AM
Pretty dang fast considering I live in the central U.S. and the guy who made it lives in New Zealand.
devinator534 (DDO)
By devinator534 (DDO) | Jul 2 2017 6:50 AM
EDEB8 does take a little while for each page to load on my comp but I am good with how slow it is... I mean faster would be nicer tho lololol
admin
By admin | Jul 2 2017 9:55 AM
Dassault Papillon: Ideally, the delay would be similar to the delay you'd get if I were to call you on a cellphone.

In practice, what we have is WAY less than a cellphone network lol.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jul 2 2017 11:48 AM
admin: Still, it usually only takes me like 3-5 seconds. I can absolutely live with that.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Jul 2 2017 11:49 AM
Okay, it takes a little bit longer than that. But it's still manageable, most of the time.
Ragnar
By Ragnar | Jul 3 2017 9:34 AM
I'd personally be cool with seeing ads, heck make an user option and I'll gladly do it. ... Yeah, assuming ad revenue would in time equal better service.
admin
By admin | Jul 3 2017 12:33 PM
Ragnar: Aside from being personally not cool with it, I don't really think we get the traffic for it. This past week has been a good one for traffic, and we've had 525 unique users visit the site. Assuming a 1% CTR and 1c per click, that's 5c in ad revenue. Added to this, ads take time to load, so it would slow the site down more.

Next year I'll be earning more money, so maybe then I can get a nicer server.
Let's revive the forums!
JV-Stalin
By JV-Stalin | Jul 13 2017 12:48 PM
Everything seems to be going quite fast for me
"He who stand on toilet is high on pot"- Confucius
admin
By admin | Jul 13 2017 5:13 PM
JV-Stalin: Cool :D Yeah one bug down, two new ones come up.
Let's revive the forums!
Goldtop
By Goldtop | Jul 15 2017 6:09 AM
Excellent work, the "waiting" delay seems fixed, well done!