EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Ukraine

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Mar 1 2014 8:28 AM
So, you've probably heard this, but there's been an internal struggle in the Ukraine, and now possibly also an external struggle with Russia. What are your thoughts on the conflict? Is it still possible for any good to come out of this?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 1 2014 7:31 PM
Been watching this pretty closely. Pretty big move by Russia. I'll be interested to see what the official world reaction is.
admin
By admin | Mar 1 2014 11:26 PM
Also: see how many otherwise reputable media sources don't know where the Ukraine is. Apparently Al Jazeera thinks it's in Africa according to where this story is categorized: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/03/ukraine-calls-up-all-military-reserves-201432102620995825.html
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 2 2014 4:15 PM
For some reason I've been watching a few docos on "countries" in the Caucasus Mountains recently... it's an interesting part of the world and pretty important from a world history perspective when it comes to language and culture. Russia has been interfering in this area for the last 10 years or so, supporting one guy against the next... as you do.

I've kind of been wondering if there's not a secret agenda to try and get the old Soviet Union back up and running again - albeit under a slightly altered political regime.

Ukraine would be one of the corner stones of any such attempt and you'd have to think that Belarus would be next. I'd like to know if the west would let it happen or if they'd try to stop it. A democratic Russian Union could be a major player in an attempt to stop the global shift from being US centred to China centred. (assuming it's not already too late!)
Personally I think that a "democratic" Russian Union would probably be anything but, and history would seem to indicate that they would be quite happy to sit back and let China do whatever China wanted. As such, I think I'd support strong international pressure being levied against Russia for doing this - strong pressure to the point of commiting troops to help the Ukraine. Buuuut I doubt that will happen. The US, EU and UK need Russia with them way more than they need them against them.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Mar 2 2014 4:28 PM
It all begs the question... for the last century, certainly the last half anyway, the USA has been the dominant world player. China has emerged recently as being the heir apparent - it would be reasonable to assume that we living through the transfer of global power right now...

... is America's best play to:
a) Lie down and take it?
b) Fight it and try to hold on to the crown?
c) Try to negotiate a compromise closer to a one world government?

For the first option, they'd just need to keep doing what they're doing. Also start pulling troops back and adopting a more isolationist policy when it comes to getting caught up in the affairs of countries half a world away.
For the second option, they would need to start a war. A world war. That's really their only play as economically China is already WAY out in front. North Korea seems like the ideal catalyst for that one.
I reckon the last option would be interesting. They'd have to persuade the rest of the global community that we should all get behind the UN - to the point that it actually becomes a functional power with some measure of authority and commanding some respect. Voila! One world Government!
Be tricky to do this without a major conflict though, so maybe option 2 happens regardless.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Mar 2 2014 6:07 PM
Good can come from anything.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.