EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

California Water Crisis - Let them dessicate!

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Crow
By Crow | Aug 26 2016 10:54 PM
A big issue in America is the California water shortage.

California does not have a sustainable supply of fresh water, and frequently experiences droughts. The land is starting to dehydrate and destroy itself, and massive forest fires are common.

The citizens there are subjected to tons of regulations on the usage of water. Despite this, for a long time California has needed to have fresh water come in from other states.

Many Californian politicians are pushing for legislation for the federal government to forcibly take fresh water from the rest of the country to go to California.

The region this would affect the most is the Great Lakes Basin, which is by far the greatest source of fresh water in the world.

Living in the Great Lakes Basin, I do not believe our plentiful fresh water supply should go towards sustaining the lives of those that destroyed their land and natural resources through state backed corporations and liberal backed government policies.

They are acting like leeches, and they should sort through the mess they created without bringing down everybody else in the process.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
admin
By admin | Aug 26 2016 11:54 PM
Crow: Generally I agree. Reminds me of when Saudi tried to drag a chunk of Antarctica over to their country. The only thing I'd add is that the federal government should move to protect the poor in such areas especially, who are the least responsible but inevitably the worst affected.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 26 2016 11:57 PM
admin: What does that federal government assistance constitute?

Without fresh water, they have nothing to drink, nothing to grow crops with, constant forest fires, and a cracking surface.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 26 2016 11:59 PM
admin: Reminds me of when Saudi tried to drag a chunk of Antarctica over to their country.

I consider this a less extreme example.

The amount of water taken from the overall basin is rather miniscule, considering we have the most in the entire world.

Still it isn't theirs to take by force. The water belongs where it is, to sustain the land it lies on.
admin
By admin | Aug 27 2016 12:01 AM
Crow: For example, assistance with moving to Michigan if it's so great over there ;)
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 12:07 AM
admin: For example, assistance with moving to Michigan if it's so great over there ;)

I don't think the answer is relocation.

They have homes, jobs, and family ties. Many people from California love thei

It isn't an easy situation to solve, but I hope you have a better solution than that.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 12:14 AM
Crow: *many people from California love their land
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 12:15 AM
admin: We do have our own theme park though...

admin
By admin | Aug 27 2016 12:46 AM
Crow: Nor do I long-term. Immediately you could do stuff like ensuring clean water is routed first to homeless shelters and such... the point is, control of the water supply is a class issue. So the economic barriers are, in the long term, going to be the most helpful.

That having been said it's like anything. Personally I don't support the NZ government giving millions upon millions to rebuild Christchurch after their earthquake, either. When people choose to live somewhere, that's their responsibility for the risks. Who I have sympathy for are the wage earners who are there because they have to be, as that's where their job is. Or like tax breaks for families. In my personal view, anyone who chooses to have a family should bear responsibility for those costs. Just my opinion though.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 1:00 AM
admin: When people choose to live somewhere, that's their responsibility for the risks. Who I have sympathy for are the wage earners who are there because they have to be, as that's where their job is. Or like tax breaks for families. In my personal view, anyone who chooses to have a family should bear responsibility for those costs. Just my opinion though.

Personal accountability, positively discriminating in favor of the working class, and advocating tax breaks instead of welfare.

It has been told that people shift to conservatism as they age.
admin
By admin | Aug 27 2016 1:42 AM
Crow: I've believed in all three of those for years, but you misunderstood me. I prefer welfare to tax breaks, but my point was that neither should be given to people because they have kids. I've always believed in government redistribution and personal accountability. Like with free markets - I believe all should be allowed to compete fairly, but this may mean having lots of regulation also. These are all liberal ideas. I don't respect social orders at all except as they serve a progressive purpose.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 2:03 AM
admin: I've believed in all three of those for years, but you misunderstood me.

No, you did not.

These are all liberal ideas.

You constantly change your positions to fit your narrative and affiliation.

Your dishonesty is your own problem. I am going to stay out of it.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 27 2016 5:34 AM
Crow: California does not have a sustainable supply of fresh water, and frequently experiences droughts. The land is starting to dehydrate and destroy itself, and massive forest fires are common.
That is too bad for them, I won't be moving to California then. What exactly is accepted to be the cause of this?
The citizens there are subjected to tons of regulations on the usage of water. Despite this, for a long time California has needed to have fresh water come in from other states.
Are you saying it is(or at least partly) because of the state regulations?
The region this would affect the most is the Great Lakes Basin, which is by far the greatest source of fresh water in the world.
I see, a plot to take from the Great Lakes Basin.
Living in the Great Lakes Basin, I do not believe our plentiful fresh water supply should go towards sustaining the lives of those that destroyed their land and natural resources through state backed corporations and liberal backed government policies.
What if the majority wanted water to be given to California?

You know of the Flint water crisis, right?
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Aug 27 2016 5:40 AM
Crow: In all fairness, I don't think California ever really had a ton of water to begin with.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Aug 27 2016 5:40 AM
And the state has a population of 30 million, so that'd definitely put a drain on what water supply they do have.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 8:55 AM
Dassault Papillon: The earth is overpopulated.

There is no easy way to go about population control, but I'd like to stray away from direct methods.

We made the grave mistake of protecting people from natural selection starting in Europe around 140 years ago.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 9:03 AM
Bi0Hazard: What exactly is accepted to be the cause of this?

Overuse, commercial farming, and a population that exceeds the sustainable fresh water supply.

Are you saying it is(or at least partly) because of the state regulations?

No, the regulations are designed to limit the usage of water. That is why water prices are incredibly high in California, and state laws mandate water shut offs in things like hotels and such for overuse of sinks and showers.

The regulations do nothing to fix the problem, but instead only slow down the rate at which it develops.

What if the majority wanted water to be given to California?

I would disagree with their consensus.

That action should be stopped. The resources belong to the land in which they lie. It is one thing to appropriate money, but something totally different when we talk about appropriating mother earth.

You know of the Flint water crisis, right?

Yes, the relevance being?

Flints water supply hardly makes a speck on that of the worlds largest fresh water supply, the Great Lakes Basin.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Aug 27 2016 11:46 AM
I think that the solution is to let nature take its course.
People are rational actors who have their own best interests in mind. If the overpopulation of this dry state creates severe problems that don't go away, many Californians will eventually choose to leave the state, thus correcting the problem.
Thumbs up from:
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 27 2016 3:25 PM
Crow: Overuse, commercial farming, and a population that exceeds the sustainable fresh water supply.
Then it can correct itself, by many leaving due to the lack of water.
Yes, the relevance being?
Just another water crisis.
Crow
By Crow | Aug 27 2016 3:40 PM
Bi0Hazard: Then it can correct itself, by many leaving due to the lack of water.

There was never a lack of water.

The water they do have was poisoned. Not the bottled drinking water, but the well water. The stuff coming out of their sinks and showers.

Residents of Flint are not that far away from the worlds largest fourth largest fresh water body. And in Michigan, there is a fresh water lake EVERYWHERE. No joke, we have 12,000+ to 50,000+ defending on what size constitutes a body of water being a lake.

Page: 12Most Recent