EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Floyd Mayweather Vs Manny Paqiuo

< Return to subforum
RXR.
By RXR. | Apr 30 2015 2:59 AM
2 of the best boxers of our generation will collide on May 2, 2015. In your opinion who will win this battle ?

Hometown, trainers, fighting division

TALE OF THE TAPE

HOMETOWN: Floyd – Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA / Manny – General Santos City, Philippines.
TRAINER: Floyd – Roger Mayweather, Manny – Freddie Roach.
WEIGHT DIVISION: Floyd - welterweight, Manny - welterweight

Win-loss record

FIGHTS WON: Floyd - 41 (KO 25), Manny - 52 (KO 38)
FIGHTS LOST: Floyd - 0, Manny - 3 (KO 2)
FIGHTS DRAWN: Floyd - 0, Manny - 2
TOTAL FIGHTS: Floyd - 41, Manny - 57
ROUNDS BOXED: Floyd - 299, Manny - 329
KO PERCENTAGE: Floyd - 60.98%, Manny - 66.67%

Height, age, reach, stance

HEIGHT: Floyd – 5 ft 8 in., Manny – 5 ft 6.5 in.
REACH: Floyd – 72 in, Manny – 67 in.
STANCE: Floyd – orthodox, Manny – southpaw

Weights

WEIGHT at WEIGH-IN: Floyd 147 lbs., Manny – 145 lbs.
WEIGHT at FIGHT NIGHT: Floyd – 153 lbs., Manny – 145 lbs.

Arms, forearms, wrist, fist

ARMS LENGTH: Floyd – 24.5, Manny – 23
FOREARM: Floyd – 11, Manny – 12
WRIST: Floyd – 7, Manny – 8
FIST: Floyd – 8, Manny – 10

Chest

CHEST NORMAL: Floyd – 38.5, Manny – 38
CHEST EXPANDED: Floyd – 39.5, Manny – 41

Neck, biceps, waist, thigh, calves

NECK: Floyd – 16.5, Manny – 16
BICEPS: Floyd – 12.5 in, Manny – 13 in.
WAIST: Floyd – 31, Manny – 28
THIGH: Floyd – 22, Manny – 20
CALVES: Floyd – 15, Manny – 15

Fighting and punching styles

FIGHTING STYLE: Floyd – defensive, counterpuncher; Manny – Southpaw darter, volume puncher, hits at awkward angles
BEST PUNCH: Floyd – straight right; Manny – straight left

http://news.wikinut.com/The-Ultimate-Pacquiao-Mayweather-Tale-of-The-Tape/1snse3rg/
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/946365-manny-pacquiao-vs-floyd-mayweather-a-tale-of-the-tape-for-the-fight-we-need
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 30 2015 5:50 AM
lol, they've been trying to fatten up Paqi for years so he could participate in a legend fight like this.
admin
By admin | May 3 2015 12:57 AM
Just watched the fight. Pretty neat.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
RXR.
By RXR. | May 3 2015 2:14 AM
Unfair fight. Considering the fact that mayweather has a 5 inch reach and 2 inch reach advantage.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
admin
By admin | May 3 2015 10:55 AM
RXR.: You could say that about any fight. Looked fair to me. The only thing that was unfair was the scoring haha. Pretty clear this was a fighter vs a points scorer. But that in and of itself was fun.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 3 2015 1:39 PM
admin: I watch a lot of boxing, so of course I dished out the 100 bucks to get this match on paperview. If you are saying Pacquiao was more of a fighter in this match, then I have to disrespectfully disagree. He landed less punches, less power punches, had lower accuracy, and did very little to slow down Maywheather. Take a look around the internet. The fight was a huge upset because Paqi fought like an amateur. He had no strategy, and by the 9th round he was being taunted by the people around the ring because it was impossible for him to win a score victory. I felt like quitting on the match right there.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 3 2015 1:43 PM
RXR.: Lol, there was nothing unfair about the fight. Reach is one of many physical advantages that a boxer could have, but it means little if you aren't acing in the 1000's of other specialties that go into winning. Paqi was worst in every area of this fight, and like one of the Nevada judges who scored the fight, I didn't consider him a winner in any of the 12 rounds.
admin
By admin | May 3 2015 2:40 PM
Blackflag: I'm saying that Mayweather CERTAINLY was the better BOXER.

The problem is, like so many others have said, very few people actually care about boxing. They care about the excitement of watching somebody get beat up. It was clear Mayweather landed more punches, but his punches were more light light taps designed to get the judges' attentions. Pacquiao was trying to fight in the sense that he wanted a knock-out. Mayweather went for single punches, while Pacquiao went for the harder combinations, in general. Of course, that doesn't score as highly because of how boxing is judged, but you can understand why it wins over fans more.

If I'd been scoring, I would have called the match a draw. Mayweather clearly dominated in the first 3 rounds (and I think this hurt boxing purists who were hoping Pacquiao would strike early), Pacquiao took more chances around the middle and delivered a few hard blows, and the last 2 rounds or so were pretty much even. I also felt like Mayweather should have been deducted for those fouls, but I can understand judges overlooking them in a fight of this importance.

I think Pacquiao did have a strategy but was caught off guard. I get the impression he was expecting Mayweather to try to be a bit more aggressive. Since Mayweather pretty much never came forward that forced Pacquiao to lunge. It's a bit like Muhammed Ali vs Sonny Liston (the first one). Pacquiao lunged a LOT better than Liston did (and both had injured shoulders in their fights, making that even more impressive). He covered himself well and managed to deflect most of Mayweather's counter-punches.

And no, I certainly don't think Pacquiao fought like an amatuer. Imagine if both sides had fought like Mayweather. That would probably have literally been the most boring match in history. I'd be surprised if any punches were thrown in such a match at all haha. Pacquiao created some real chances for himself against one of the greatest champions in boxing history. He deserves more credit than that.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 4 2015 9:58 AM
The problem is, like so many others have said, very few people actually care about boxing. They care about the excitement of watching somebody get beat up. It was clear Mayweather landed more punches, but his punches were more light light taps designed to get the judges' attentions. Pacquiao was trying to fight in the sense that he wanted a knock-out. Mayweather went for single punches, while Pacquiao went for the harder combinations, in general. Of course, that doesn't score as highly because of how boxing is judged, but you can understand why it wins over fans more.

This is where I most disagree with you. Maywhether landed more power punches, and they all landed in the face which is worth more points, mostly because they do more damage to the opponent. Getting Lopped in the face 100 times over the course of a short period of time isn't fun. Paqi threw lots of combinations, and that is where he was the worst. He could not land more than one punch in any of his combinations. He was having spasms on the ring. Whenever he got Maywhether in the corner, he had no idea how to keep him there.

Did you see the commentary on how winded Paqi was by round three btw? He could hardly hold his ground by the 9th round. It also should be noted that none of the people who scored the game put Paqi anywhere close to beating Maywhether in any round except #2, where he grabbed.

He covered himself well and managed to deflect most of Mayweather's counter-punches
Lies, he was grilled by nearly every celebrity boxer watching the game for not knowing how to guard.

And no, I certainly don't think Pacquiao fought like an amatuer. Imagine if both sides had fought like Mayweather. That would probably have literally been the most boring match in history. I'd be surprised if any punches were thrown in such a match at all haha. Pacquiao created some real chances for himself against one of the greatest champions in boxing history. He deserves more credit than that.
That was the most pathetic and disappointing fight I have ever seen. Maywhether is known for his knock outs, which dominate half of his wins. He had a massive score advantage which took away every incentive for him to go on the offensive. His coach during round 4 when the scores were closer told him to go on the offensive and try for combinations. The moment he sealed himself in a comfortable position he chose not to fight. By Round 7 his coach later told him to not even throw punches and to let Paqi wear himself out. Paqi's accuaracy and power punches were one of the worst ever seen in a championship match of this much hype. If Paqi had closed the score gap by even a little bit then this fight would of been more interesting to watch, but he didn't, because he lacked the skill to win more than one round. Paqi is known for his defense. If he was not losing so bad he would of done exactly what Maywhether did, with even less risk taking.

...and he did fight like a amatuer, and this is coming from someone who watches amateur boxing literally every Saturday. Paqi made his career as a featerweight. I would place my bets on him to win against any featherweight who tried to take him on, but find me an amateur middleweight, welterweight, or bantamweight and I can show you how much better they are at both fighting and boxing. His whole technique reminded me of those thug videos where everyone swings spasmatically and cannot throw a concentrated punch.

Right now I am not sure if there are more people who watch boxing who are ranting about how much Paqi sucked, or more people who do not watch boxing incorrectly stating how Paqi should of won.
RXR.
By RXR. | May 4 2015 1:55 PM
Hopefully Amir Khan doesn't fight Mayweather next.
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015