EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

A JMK rant

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Sep 29 2015 12:20 PM
I don't usually look fondly on people who look to the internet as a venting mechanism, but excuse me whilst I violate everything I believe in and proceed to do just that.
There are few things I find more reprehensible than flagrant dishonesty.

To err is to be human, and irrespective of the *perceived* consequences of those errors, there are many unfortunate souls who still haven't realized the sheer magnitude by which they proliferate once we add dishonesty into the mix.

It's patronizing--it's an insult to my intelligence to think that I won't catch on, or that once I catch on, I'll shove it under the rug, add it to your tab, and be on my merry way.
Further, to sidestep me all together--to, instead of confronting me as would any sensible, rationally-minded person, approach my friends--and to even deflect blame onto my best friend is treacherous to a degree that I won't readily tolerate. I don't throw people under the bus, nor do I look to my friends as expendable human shields to be extorted and discarded once they've fulfilled whatever self-serving purpose I've assigned them.

Cowardice, deception, deflection--these aren't just symptomatic of a broader, more pronounced problem, but the disease unto themselves. I don't normally cut people out of my life, but when I do, I'm damn sure I've dotted my i's, crossed my t's, and examined as deliberately as I could all possible options--and, in this case as with many others, I happen to have made the categorically right decision. I don't absent-mindedly snap to judgments based upon spur-of-the-moment "feeling," nor do I--nor have I ever--relied on what some untrustworthy, anti-intellectual fuckwit was saying, as opposed to my own feelings. I think for myself, and if more people did that, this would be a happier, less-war-torn world.

That is all. Get on with your lives, folks.
~JohnMaynardKeynes
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Sep 29 2015 12:23 PM
JohnMaynardKeynes: Well, I feel better.
~JohnMaynardKeynes
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Sep 29 2015 1:01 PM
wut
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Sep 29 2015 1:03 PM
Dassault Papillon: It's a JMK rant. It doesn't need to make sense to anyone else to accomplish its intended aim(s).
~JohnMaynardKeynes
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Sep 29 2015 2:45 PM
JohnMaynardKeynes: Lol. Wow...
"Man is not free unless government is limited" -- Ronald Reagan
Topics: http://tinyurl.com/oh9tm6u
Homer Simpson-Griffins
By Homer Simpson-Griffins | Sep 29 2015 8:44 PM
JohnMaynardKeynes: can I submit this to cringetopia?
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Sep 29 2015 10:51 PM
Homer Simpson-Griffins: lol

You could... you'd look like a fool if you *actually* found this cringe-worthy, but your credibility isn't of any material concern to me.
~JohnMaynardKeynes
admin
By admin | Sep 29 2015 11:52 PM
JohnMaynardKeynes: Well, I got what I expected lol.

Small warning for profanity. Don't let it happen again.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Sep 30 2015 5:41 AM
admin: Sorry, chief. I'll censor it next time.
~JohnMaynardKeynes
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 30 2015 6:18 AM
JohnMaynardKeynes: You need to choose better friends - says Stag
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Sep 30 2015 6:22 AM
Blackflag: It's a dynamic process. Much like an imbalanced market trapped in disequilibria, it often requires correction. This is one of those corrections.
~JohnMaynardKeynes
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 30 2015 6:26 AM
JohnMaynardKeynes: I don't think so. I have always been very good at forming relationships.

It has been a long time since I put someone I didn't fully trust in a position where they could hurt me.
admin
By admin | Sep 30 2015 6:35 AM
Blackflag: You have a way of talking highly of yourself in relation to your friends. Previously you suggested on the shoutbox all depression is a sign of personal weakness and that you'd never find yourself in that position, for example, unlike several of your friends who came to you for help.

I'm sure you have no trouble not putting people into positions of trust, but I'm genuinely surprised that people respond positively to that kind of antisocial behavior. Perhaps this is one of those times to take those famous words of Confucius to heart: "Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
JohnMaynardKeynes
By JohnMaynardKeynes | Sep 30 2015 7:06 AM
Blackflag: If that's true--and you'll excuse my skepticism--then congratulations. The problem is, people change: they sell themselves in a way that makes them appear trustworthy, and then turn around to stab you in the back. They apologize again and again, insisting that they're sorry and will reform, but it never actually relents. I refuse to accept personal responsibility for *someone else's* poor character.
~JohnMaynardKeynes
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 30 2015 12:42 PM
admin: depression is a sign of personal weakness
Because it is...

I'm genuinely surprised that people respond positively to that kind of antisocial behavior.
It isn't antisocial behavior. It is real untempered behavior.
People genuinely like genuine people.

I actively go out of my way to help my friends, and never waste my time trying to hurt someones feelings intentionally. Usually that is all it takes to be popular in this society.

The real social rejects are the ones who fail to put themselves above others, at least in terms of commanding a decent level of respect. You see it plenty at college campuses. You still have those kids who are afraid to talk to girls and fraternize with others more sociable than themselves.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 30 2015 12:44 PM
I refuse to accept personal responsibility for *someone else's* poor character.
You don't have to accept responcibility for someone elses character.

What you do need to do is accept responsibility for the good and bad that becomes directed at you. It is within your control.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 30 2015 12:46 PM
admin

In other words, people with a high level of self esteem and self respect almost always tend to be esteemed and respected more by others.
admin
By admin | Sep 30 2015 2:12 PM
Blackflag: Speak for yourself. If anything, I think demonstrating humility towards others would make me esteem and respect them more.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 30 2015 2:48 PM
admin: You actually don't, just like everyone else.
Say that to make you feel good about yourself, but it is just a tactic people use to self indulge their ego when they are actually being self righteous.

Seldom is a person who does not hold himself or his values in high regard and confidence; esteemed and respected by the general populace.

Forti Animo
By Forti Animo | Oct 2 2015 9:56 AM
admin: It's annoying that I can see all of these posts but when I sign in, I can't respond to them.

Nonetheless, admin you're a smart guy.
Page: 12Most Recent