Adware

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Nov 4 2014 9:49 AM
So Plutarch messaged me today, saying this:

I'm starting to think all the adware attacks are stemming from this site
Sometimes I get this message, only on edeb8
"you are using an unsupported command line flag", and then all the attacks come
it isn't a huge deal, given how easy it is to get rid of them, but I thought you should know

In response I've run a scan on the site just in case we've been hacked or something, and we haven't. Command line would also indicate something like a script being set to run on his computer whenever he visits the site, as websites themselves cannot execute arbitrary code. So based on all this I'm 90% sure that what he has is a malicious chrome extension.

I checked on Google, and apparently the engineers there say that if this happens to anyone they should re-install Chrome, deleting any other malware on the computer etc, then go to Settings> Advanced Settings> Malware and Phishing Protection, and press to enable it. You can also check your extensions by going to Settings> Extensions.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 4 2014 9:52 AM
admin: I delete the extensions everytime. They just keep coming on my computer under a different name, and not only do I disable them, but I delete them. Thanks, and I'll follow your advice.
sea_shell
By sea_shell | Nov 4 2014 10:21 AM
admin: I've never had an issue.
I'm not sure if I trust anyone who doesn't have their face as their profile.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 4 2014 10:24 AM
admin: I am 100% sure the problem is an extension though
I just am perplexed in how it keeps manifesting.

I see that the problem isn't the site, but something I do on the site that activates the adware.