EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Religious and Niche Teams

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 9 2014 11:49 AM
Okay, so when requesting the feature to create multiple teams (since you can join multiple teams), I was turned down on the basis that the wanted team was supposed to be for christian debating. Someone back me up here. I personally think that people should be allowed to debate whatever they want, in whatever category. Religion is a diverse topic, so why can you create economic specific teams, but not religion specific teams?

The Administrator makes the argument that it is to prevent selective debating, and promotes a bad debating culture. What do you guy's think?
admin
By admin | Oct 9 2014 11:53 AM
Blackflag: Let me clarify a bit. I don't think users should be able to found one team for every single kind of interest that they have. They can make a team where they debate with their christian friends if they really want, or any other friends for that matter. But creating more teams just because they have more interests defeats the purpose of team debating, which is really to have a close group of friends who support each other in argument.

Instead, users with different interests should join different groups. There they can meet fun people to add to their team, whatever it may be, and work together on that.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 9 2014 11:55 AM
admin: We have a site with no punishment for full forfeits. Having multiple teams is hardly the worst thing possible. It's not exactly like we're going to be running rampant anytime soon.
Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 9 2014 12:00 PM
Blackflag: The problem with that is that the "team debate" feature has yet to be used by members. There has not been a single team debate yet amongst formal teams. The leading team is: http://www.edeb8.com/team/EDEB8.com+staff
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 9 2014 12:03 PM
Darth Vitiosus: Actually, that's not true. There have been three team debates I believe.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 9 2014 12:03 PM
Blackflag: We just weren't awarded elo
Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 9 2014 12:10 PM
Blackflag: That is strange.
admin
By admin | Oct 9 2014 12:13 PM
Darth Vitiosus: Well, there has, just not any rated debates.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 9 2014 12:13 PM
admin: The debate was rated
Darth Vitiosus
By Darth Vitiosus | Oct 9 2014 12:13 PM
admin: Now that clears everything up then.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Oct 9 2014 12:14 PM
Darth Vitiosus: I swear on my life the debate was rated
admin
By admin | Oct 9 2014 12:57 PM
Blackflag: There might have been a bug that I later fixed without changing the elo for some reason. Can't remember.
Let's revive the forums!