EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Thoughts on Debate Standards

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Sep 13 2014 10:11 AM
Okay, do to the new members flooding into the sight (probably do to me sig'ing the site), I think I should share my thoughts on what should be allowed to be a debate. I don't think we should confine all debates to serious and conventional, but the purpose of this site is to debate, therefore, I feel any debates that don't actually "debate", should be deleted immediately. With that said, I think their should be times of allowance to unconventional debating.

- Debates can have a troll topic, but there must be actual debate within.
- Debates can have unconventional rounds (rap battle, drawing contest, ect.), contingent that at least two rounds be used for actual debating, e.g, do a rap battle the first two rounds and try to prove why your's was better in at least two rounds.

A third theory I had, but I'm not completely sure about, is having a separate section for "non debates" done in the debate format.
Thoughts?
admin
By admin | Sep 13 2014 2:49 PM
Blackflag: So first of all, I'm hoping to launch my "creative-contest" site soon. I'm pretty overdue for launching that already. That site will help for people who want to do what you call "unconventional rounds" and provide specific features for that kind of thing, while also copying a lot of features from edeb8 (forums, messages etc).

For troll topics, I think the site content guidelines deal with this nicely. In general people should be here for serious discussion but the odd bit of humor (provided it's not at anyone's expense) is ok.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!