EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Homepage layout

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jun 22 2014 4:34 PM
One of the most recent changes to the site has been the new, more condensed home page. What do you guys think? Hate the new layout? Prefer it? Is it too cluttered? Or was the previous one too spacious? Let me know! My goal here is to make it as easy as possible to find stuff, and the idea is that this way you don't need to scroll so much on the home page.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 22 2014 6:25 PM
admin: I like it. I don't think it's cluttered at all.

I tend to use the links at the top of the page anyway.
admin
By admin | Jun 23 2014 3:36 PM
nzlockie: OK. Just tell me when I start overdoing it :D
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 23 2014 5:54 PM
admin: OK for me, this is overdoing it. I like the green highlighter on my current debate, but the pictures on each debate make the whole thing look really cluttered when I view it on my tablet or phone.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 23 2014 5:55 PM
nzlockie: I'd be keen to hear what others think though.
admin
By admin | Jun 23 2014 6:03 PM
nzlockie: I might take it in smaller steps to be safe.

Guys, on the top bar, click on "debates". That has the new style boxes at the bottom showing the profile pics of the competitors in each debate. Works for 4-way and teams too. Now imagine if the boxes in the home page were in that style too. Thoughts?
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 24 2014 7:20 PM
admin: OK bro - I'm not loving the new layout.
I find the home page screen looks really cluttered now.
I thought the previous system of having "Open Challenges", "My debates" and "My messages" accross the top made good sense.

I also think that having everything center aligned contributes to the cluttered look.

To be honest, I liked it far better the way it was before... what's the thinking behind the new layout?
admin
By admin | Jun 24 2014 7:49 PM
nzlockie: First of all, thanks, this is awesome feedback!

So a few things here, I'm going to take them onboard because you've given me another idea. Dangerous I know, but whatever. Don't worry, I have a backup of the old style too, pretty simple to revert back to it. Anyway, this might take a moment to put up, but do keep the feedback coming!
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 25 2014 3:28 PM
nzlockie: OK, my crazy idea didn't come to much. I've put it more to the left and will look at reorganizing the boxes soon, especially for logged-in users.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 26 2014 5:10 PM
nzlockie: NZlockie, I just totally removed your post by accident. Sorry.

If you refresh the homepage, you'll note that it isn't center-aligned any more when you're logged in.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jun 29 2014 2:37 PM
admin: I like today's Homepage best of all. Not sure how long it's been this way as I've been accessing from my tablet over the last few days, but I like this one.