EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Duplicate Posts

< Return to subforum
Crow
By Crow | Jun 28 2016 4:59 AM
Could the site be worked to detect duplicate posts automatically?
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
admin
By admin | Jun 28 2016 5:29 AM
Crow: This is caused by people resubmitting a post through their browser, often unintentionally by refreshing a page. The problem is that sometimes duplicate posts are non-consecutive. Otherwise it's fairly trivial, and in fact already happens transparently.

There's two basic options:
One would be to have each post be linked to some hidden, unique token. If this token is reused, the content is not reposted.
The other is to perform a redirection, after posting anything, to a completely different page.

Although both are valid approaches, they would both require substantial changes to every single form on the site. It's considerably less work for me to simply remove such duplicate messages and ask people not to refresh pages they have submitted a form on.

That being said, 99% of the time, this only happens on the forums and debate comments, so it could be possible just to do those two to start with.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jun 28 2016 8:19 AM
Crow: When I try to refresh the page after I posted, it warns me first, so it shouldn't happen by accident.