EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Survey Results

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Apr 21 2016 10:00 PM
Recently we ran the edeb8 member survey. While the response rate was not as high as I would have hoped, I think it gives a few interesting insights into the overall feelings of the community.

The best overall aspect of the site was tied between our ease of use and our debate features. Our visual style, social features and moderation also were given lots of stars by survey participants. On the whole, edeb8 members rated edeb8 a 4.167 / 5.

On a not-so-positive front, judging quality was rated less than 3/5 on average, and community input as well as debate quality were also not rated very highly.
This confirms for me a need for judging reform as well as a greater emphasis on training.

Congressional format and Model UN were unpopular with members (no surprise since those styles already have their own things lol), while only half of survey participants would participate in a tournament debate (which surprised me a lot!). Regular text debates were the most popular, followed by video debates. Video debates were twice as popular as live video debates. LD and quick debates had small audiences.

In response to the statements, people mostly felt that:
> Edeb8 is relatively free of bugs and errors
> Members felt they were aware of most of what edeb8 offers
> Most found it easy to find interesting debates
> Most are interested in outcompeting other site members on the leaderboards (but, one third were either neutral or disinterested in this)
> Edeb8 does not have too many social features
> Two-thirds believed edeb8 should appoint more moderators, while one third disagreed. This seemed a polarizing one.
> Edeb8 should not have an elected community leader (though again, this vote was very much split)
> Everyone loves keeping edeb8 free of ads
> The terms of use etc are fair
> People were split on edeb8's security - most were neutral, implying they don't know or care. By a slim margin people did want it improved. I have been looking for some time at getting us an SSL cert which would help this.
> The privacy controls on edeb8 are great
> People are fine with the speed of edeb8
> Our moot list is good (most were neutral on this - no idea why, maybe secret topics are set to become less popular or something)
> New members are not confused here
> It's super easy to sign up/log in
> Edeb8 is mega friendly
> Profile badges are great
> Members here come from a vast range of backgrounds etc
> Two-thirds liked the debate round editor, one third didn't. After answering this question my brother felt the need to report a bug in person about it. XD
> Notifications are great
> People were split about the search, resources and subforums. Most had no opinion either way.
> Most people think I care about what you guys think
> Everyone agreed edeb8 is fun

People found edeb8 from either google (most common), or debate.org.
Most people use only edeb8 for their online debate needs. One person also visits a blog, and a handful occasionally browse debate.org.

The single most popular option for how edeb8 should invest was in "some other idea I have", which is hilarious because I listed every single suggestion that's ever been made to me (to my recollection). I'd love to hear these other ideas!
Advertising was a very close second and will definitely be in the near term what edeb8 will be looking to do, especially given how much of our audience arrives through google.
People were torn on paid judges, live video debates and tournament prizes. Text messages and logo design ranked among the lowest options for most people.

Most people felt the best thing was the debate platform. One person thought that I was the best thing about this site, and one person couldn't decide.
Everyone agreed the worst thing about edeb8 was the size of the community, except one person who put "the judges sometimes".
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Apr 21 2016 10:01 PM
Did you like the survey? Is there anything that stands out for you about it?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!