EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Aralkum Nation

< Return to subforum
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Apr 7 2015 9:00 AM
The Aral Sea has largely dried up in what is considered to be one of the worst environmental disasters in human history. It has left behind miles and miles of the dried up seabed, known as the Aralkum Desert (possibly the newest desert on Earth). As recently as 1999 most of this land was water, so it's likely that at this point there are very few people who now live on the dried up sea bed which is the Aralkum.
Since this land is ripe for the taking, what if a people were to settle this land and establish a new nation? Since the land was only recently turned into dry land, there's no natives there who'd be displaced. The only real problems are:
1. Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan own the area where the Aral Sea once was. Still, this can be overcome by settling the region and then compromising with the local governments and simply gaining autonomous status.
2. It's desert which has been polluted with chemicals (though this can probably be overcome; after all, people live in the Middle East and North Africa).

With the newest nation-sized strip of land far away from the Arctic and Antarctic just waiting to be settled, somebody should make a move now for Aralkum (unfortunately, probably nobody's going to do this).
admin
By admin | Apr 7 2015 1:57 PM
Dassault Papillon: Probably because the land already belongs to somebody else. The only parts of the planet not currently claimed are a large chunk of antarctica (which nobody can claim thanks to the antarctic treaty) and international waters. If somebody were to settle there they'd have to fight like Palestine to get their state established. I doubt anybody can be bothered.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Apr 7 2015 4:14 PM
admin: There is also Bir Tawil
Thumbs up from:
admin
By admin | Apr 7 2015 4:18 PM
Blackflag: True.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!