EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Resolutions

< Return to subforum
Crow
By Crow | Jun 14 2016 6:54 AM
I know a long time ago we agreed to allow the affirmative to frame their own position and to have the other side be forced to go along with it, but I think this needs to be reconsidered.It is irritating to accept a debate with arguments in mind, just to have the affirmative pull a total 180 with their own interpretation of the resolution.

The most annoying thing right for me right now though, would be to get in a debate, and to have a term in the resolution narrowed in scope considerably by the affirmative.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jun 14 2016 7:37 AM
Crow: I know a long time ago we agreed to allow the affirmative to frame their own position and to have the other side be forced to go along with it
I didn't know this.
Crow
By Crow | Jun 14 2016 8:06 AM
Bi0Hazard: It was a couple discussions I instigated, and there ended up being universal consensus with everyone I asked.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jun 14 2016 8:22 AM
Crow: Sounds ridiculous if you ask me.
Crow
By Crow | Jun 14 2016 8:30 AM
Bi0Hazard: It isn't totally unfounded. There is another scenario in which two people get in a debate, and fight throughout about what position is legitimate.

I am more concerned about finding a solution to when the affirmative tries to shift the debate tremendously, to the point where the resolution isn't really describing what is actually being debated.
admin
By admin | Jun 14 2016 12:01 PM
Crow: That's called "squirreling" and has never been acceptable. Aff is said to have a "semi-divine right of definition" in debating parlance, meaning they can define the topic so long as they do not contradict what judges call the "spirit of the motion".
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jun 14 2016 1:12 PM
admin: That's called "squirreling" and has never been acceptable.
That's what I thought.