EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Proactive bans expanded to cover spam

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | May 28 2016 1:54 AM
Since the multi-account proactive system has been working pretty well, I've added in a simple check for spam accounts. Immediately the system identified about 50 accounts which do appear, on a manual check by me, to be obviously spam accounts. This should help us to deal with this issue.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | May 28 2016 11:15 AM
But what if some of them aren't spam accounts?
admin
By admin | May 28 2016 12:32 PM
Dassault Papillon: Then they have 24 hours to appeal to me as usual. Or, after banning, they can still email me.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 31 2016 5:28 PM
admin: The bans on the Aedai siblings was outrageous

What were the bans on those accounts even based on? #FreeAedai
admin
By admin | May 31 2016 6:33 PM
Priest of Swag: Multiaccounting. I can't reveal the exact internal data the system uses but they can easily get their accounts back by just talking to me, regardless of whether the system was right or not. So far I have no communication from either of them.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 31 2016 6:42 PM
admin: I am only wondering what your system was basing it off.

Also the rest of the internet doesn't work like that. More likely than not, when someone gets banned without a reason, they are just going to disappear.
admin
By admin | May 31 2016 6:48 PM
Priest of Swag: "They" (if they are several) are aware that the reason is suspected multiaccounting, and also that they can easily contact me to get "their" accounts back.

Broadly the system takes into account IP data, usage patterns and other account data edeb8 collects. It used to use just IP data but I refined it until it was smart enough to catch RM's multis. I strongly suspect the number of false positives is minimal - people only need contact me to get them back anyway.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 31 2016 6:52 PM
admin: Well IP should only be used discriminately, like when you were trying to catch RM. I know for a fact that often IP's can be confused and also shared in many instances. Combining it with usage patterns isn't bad though.

Basically what I am imagining with those two accounts is possibly some kind of family situation.
admin
By admin | May 31 2016 6:57 PM
Priest of Swag: If they simply explained that to me, all would be fine.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 31 2016 7:06 PM
admin: I guess in this situation you would be right, but I would like to make another contention.

You should reach out to the individuals for a period of time before banning them, provided they are not obvious spam accounts and have relatively recent activity.
admin
By admin | May 31 2016 7:11 PM
Priest of Swag: I already do. They each had a long warning period and chose not to respond in that time either, despite being online.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jun 1 2016 5:59 AM
admin: Why do you talk to yourself through your two accounts?
Priest of Swag is one of yours.
Or is there something I am mistaken about?
Crow
By Crow | Jun 1 2016 11:38 AM
Bi0Hazard: Priest of Swag merged with my account, Csareo. He is talking with me.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jun 1 2016 1:55 PM
Crow: how did you merge with Priest of Swag?
Crow
By Crow | Jun 1 2016 2:03 PM
Bi0Hazard: Ask admin, he was the one who did it. I believe he just changed to my original name.
Crow
By Crow | Jun 1 2016 2:04 PM
Bi0Hazard: If you changed your name to Stag Mark IV, Stag 3.0, or Csareo, it would probably do the same thing.
admin
By admin | Jun 1 2016 4:39 PM
Crow: Yip, exactly. Stag found a way to basically make your own account insecure if you do something very weird. I'm working on a fix.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Jun 14 2016 8:31 PM
Fun fact. I just did a check on a bunch of the IP addresses that have been caught under this, and ALL of them I checked resolved to the city of Nellore, just above Chennai, in India. There must be one heck of a dedicated operation going on there for them to bother targeting a site like this lol.
Let's revive the forums!