EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Best national anthem

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jul 26 2014 9:34 AM
Put in youtube links to your favorite anthems here. :)
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Jul 26 2014 11:26 AM
admin:

"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
admin
By admin | Jul 26 2014 11:28 AM
Tophatdoc: I really should fix that thing that happens for people who try to copy an embed code lol.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Tophatdoc
By Tophatdoc | Jul 26 2014 12:02 PM
admin: Well, the Lichtenstein anthem is one of the best eithe way. It shall remain Holy and Roman.....at least so I believe.
"Don't respond to my posts. Don't read my debates. Don't read my messages. Thanks for reading this message. " A Quote from Tophatdoc
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 26 2014 12:42 PM
Ukraine's. It is symbolic in so many subtle ways. I made a long post on it, but this site is bugged, so I'm not bothering writing 6,000 characters again.

admin
By admin | Jul 26 2014 12:55 PM
Blackflag: Uh - what's the bug now?
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 26 2014 2:28 PM
admin: You already said it was fixed. Posting forums
admin
By admin | Jul 26 2014 2:29 PM
Blackflag: oh ok. Cool.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jul 26 2014 2:29 PM
admin: Just testing out the formatting

[quote]Uh - what's the bug now?[/quote]
Kulio
admin
By admin | Jul 26 2014 2:31 PM
Blackflag: You may want to check the supported formatting link that I put besides every submit button on the forum ;)
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jul 27 2014 4:14 PM

Musically I find it really hard to go past South Africa. This particular version is also one of the best I've heard.
Lyrically it's a little weak, so it loses some marks for that. However I love the fact that it's sung in multiple languages.
Historically I love it. Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika was a very popular national song when South Africa was first coming together as a nation. Later it was used by various groups, including the ANC to protest the Afrikaan regime during the "bad years".
Die Stem van Suid-Afrika was the National anthem under this regime and in and of itself is not a bad song.

With the fall of Apartheid in 1995 they joined parts of both songs together and added a bit of English at the end to make a great new song. I love the fact that a majority that had been suppressed for so long finally gain significant political power and influence and, when given the opportunity, rather than squash every memory of the past, choose to embrace and include it.