EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Old people driving

< Return to subforum
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 5 2014 6:19 PM
The other day my mate called the cops on a "drunk driver". They were weaving all over the road, crossing the centre line and varying the speed between 20 and 40km/hr in a 100 km/hr zone. At one point they even stopped dead right in the middle of the lane!

My mate followed them until the cops showed up. As it turned out, it was an elderly couple. They had no idea where they were or where they were going. They had no recollection of getting into the car and were obviously quite upset.

This is obviously an extreme and after this I doubt they'll mind the fact that they're likely to be losing their license - but it made me wonder.
At what stage do we say that you're not allowed to drive?

In NZ, after you turn 75, you need to renew your license every two years and you need to sit a practical test each time as well. I think this is a good thing personally, although I can understand that it makes a lot of elderly people upset.
What's a deal in the land of the Free? Are you ever restricted on driving based on advanced years?
admin
By admin | May 5 2014 7:07 PM
nzlockie: The way I see it, if you can be restricted on age for being young, you can do the same for being old. If society is happy stereotyping the driving abilities of those under 15 I will gladly do the same for everybody over 85. It makes a lot of young people upset too. Personally I think we give old people a pretty generous deal on licenses. Seems to work "well enough" though.

Then again, I don't see what the big deal is with driving anyway. I've never driven a car and it's never really bothered me.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 6 2014 2:00 PM
nzlockie: In the US you are innocent until proven guilty. JK. You drive until you have your license removed. My dad's mate (mate sounds so wrong in America) was 93 when he finally decided it would be safe to stop driving.

In the land of the Free you are not restricted until you deserve to be.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.