EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

The ANZAC Day thread

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Apr 22 2014 12:45 AM
In Australia and New Zealand we like to honor the soldiers who died in one of the dumbest military campaigns in all history - the landing at Gallipoli.

But seriously, all wars are a bit dumb really. Quite a few people died in the last two world ones. Share your family's wartime exploits here. Or alternatively, if that's too boring, make up some awesome wartime exploits and see if we can call you out on your bluff. It's the internet, somebody's bound to do that anyway.

I always feel awkward at ANZAC services because the only real relatives during either world war who I had were fighting for the other side! My family's never really been all into that war stuff. But I do have a German submarine commander and ship captain who fought in both wars and survived, and a crippled guy who foolishly joined the volkssturm just as Germany was falling and died immediately. Most of my family were sane enough to avoid it all in various ways though.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Apr 22 2014 7:39 AM
admin: I had a great uncle who died in the final stages of WWII during the Italian campaign. He had just gotten married and there must have some awkwardness there because none of my other family went to his wedding, and his wife was never mentioned. I only found her by accident while doing some research. I'm heading to Italy for work in a few weeks and I'm hoping to go visit his grave site. He's buried by Corriano Ridge.

His older brother , my grandfather, was too young during WWI and too old during WWII so served in the Home Guard. All three of his younger brothers served overseas during WWII, one in the air force (mechanic), one in the Navy and the aforementioned one in the Army.
All of them died before I was old enough to pester them with questions and all their war stories died with them.
admin
By admin | Apr 24 2014 8:06 AM
Have a reflective ANZAC day everyone. Lest we forget.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | May 9 2014 7:40 AM
I'm not very good at making up war stories. And the one I have would be highly offensive to everyone here.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.