EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Drug policy

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Nov 27 2016 7:19 AM
What is your view on drug policy?
Should the state legalize drugs or criminalize them with strict penalties?
What is the best way to combat drug use?
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Nov 30 2016 1:16 PM
Is marijuana legal where you live?
admin
By admin | Dec 1 2016 6:12 AM
Bi0Hazard: It's not legal. Personally I don't think recreational drugs should, in general, be legal. I also think tobacco should be illegal and alcohol should be more heavily restricted. Punishment should be forcibly to be sent to a rehab center, and a financial cost. Dealers should be imprisoned.

My view is that the liberalization of drug policy is the greatest mistake of our age.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 1 2016 8:26 AM
admin: It's not legal.
Marijuana (recreational and medical) is legal where I live.
I also think tobacco should be illegal and alcohol should be more heavily restricted.
Wow, ok.
Punishment should be forcibly to be sent to a rehab center, and a financial cost.
What about mandatory minimum sentencing?
My view is that the liberalization of drug policy is the greatest mistake of our age.
The war on drugs in the U.S. was a mistake.
admin
By admin | Dec 1 2016 8:29 AM
Bi0Hazard: Being forced into a rehab center is a form of mandatory minimum.

Nice to have two competing views. We should have a debate sometime :)
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 1 2016 8:34 AM
admin: I meant a prison (incarceration). The "tough" penalties approach.

We did before, maybe again sometime.
admin
By admin | Dec 1 2016 8:38 AM
Bi0Hazard: Prison doesn't heal the problem. For dealers, sure. For users, no.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 1 2016 8:44 AM
admin: Interesting. Is the legalization of marijuana and/or other drugs an issue in your country? or is it currently not up for debate?
admin
By admin | Dec 1 2016 8:47 AM
Bi0Hazard: It totally is. Very strong movement to legalize it.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 1 2016 8:48 AM
admin: Among other liberals in your country?
admin
By admin | Dec 1 2016 8:52 AM
Bi0Hazard: Similar story. Lots of people like the idea of legalizing it.
Let's revive the forums!
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Dec 1 2016 8:55 AM
admin: My view is that the liberalization of drug policy is the greatest mistake of our age.

Rarely have I ever agreed with anything you've said, but this is so true. As a conservative, I value freedom insofar as it does not conflict with order. Drug legalization inexplicably leads to higher crime, more hospitalization, and generally worse health. I am also in favor of illegalizing tobacco and restricting alcohol usage. The detriments of each, I think, outweigh the economic boon they often supply. Either way, the moral cost is of more importance.
"Man is not free unless government is limited" -- Ronald Reagan
Topics: http://tinyurl.com/oh9tm6u
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 1 2016 8:55 AM
admin: What about medical marijuana?
admin
By admin | Dec 1 2016 8:57 AM
ColeTrain: There's virtually no evidence of that economic boom anyway.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Dec 1 2016 8:57 AM
Bi0Hazard: I have nothing against purified forms of THC (or any other ingredient in marijuana) being used in pills. There should be no reason, however, to smoke marijuana.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 1 2016 9:01 AM
ColeTrain: Drug legalization inexplicably leads to higher crime, more hospitalization, and generally worse health.
If people choose to use it.
I am also in favor of illegalizing tobacco and restricting alcohol usage. The detriments of each, I think, outweigh the economic boon they often supply. Either way, the moral cost is of more importance.
Is mass incarceration, militarized attempts to reduce supply, and arresting disproportionally more blacks for the same crime (and roughly equal use) moral?
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Dec 1 2016 9:03 AM
admin: Correct. They are an economic boon insofar as they could be taxed, but the expenses that come with legality exceed the profit.
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Dec 1 2016 9:09 AM
Bi0Hazard: If people choose to use it.
They are making poor choices -- choices that also harm others and the safety of those around them. Law and order.
Is mass incarceration, militarized attempts to reduce supply, and arresting disproportionally more blacks for the same crime (and roughly equal use) moral?
I'm not saying the US goes about it the right way every time, and I'm not saying it's the perfect situation. I'm only suggesting the "drug culture" brings down society and is manifestly terrible for everyone. Decriminalization doesn't solve, either, because that's only softening the law. The law is being broke. The blame can't be passed to the government for punishment. As for disproportionate arrests, I think it's exaggerated.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Dec 1 2016 9:24 AM
ColeTrain: They are making poor choices -- choices that also harm others and the safety of those around them. Law and order.
People won't inevitably choose to use drugs without a law enforced against it, so Criminalization isn't necessary.
I'm only suggesting the "drug culture" brings down society and is manifestly terrible for everyone.
And that should be changed, but criminalizing drugs hasn't stopped the problem.
Decriminalization doesn't solve, either, because that's only softening the law.
Yes, but more resources can be focused to help the drug users rather than hiding from the police. Mass incarceration has made it worse.
ColeTrain
By ColeTrain | Dec 1 2016 9:29 AM
Bi0Hazard: People won't inevitably choose to use drugs without a law enforced against it, so Criminalization isn't necessary.
What? It's ridiculous to assert the reason people choose drugs is because of the law. There are definitely some people who don't use the drug BECAUSE of criminalization and illegality in place. Your point is only valid insofar as legality isn't harmful, which in the case of drugs, it is.
And that should be changed, but criminalizing drugs hasn't stopped the problem.
Decriminalization won't be any better, in fact, it would lead to an increase in drug usage.
Yes, but more resources can be focused to help the drug users rather than hiding from the police. Mass incarceration has made it worse.

This point is also untrue. People oppose things because they are bad. When they become legal, more and more people take up the practice. "Helping them" will have no authoritative backing, and will render itself useless.
Page: 12Most Recent