EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Communism

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234Most Recent
admin
By admin | Aug 13 2016 12:37 PM
Crow: I'm not trying to convince you. I'm trying to explain my own position as is relevant to the OP.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 13 2016 12:39 PM
admin: Explain your position.

Why should compassion be a guaranteed right?

I would love to hear that, since you brought it up on your own volition.
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
admin
By admin | Aug 13 2016 12:42 PM
Crow: I explained that in the shoutbox last night but apparently you weren't interested in hearing it. Basically because we're all the same. Only in caring for each other can we care for ourselves. The most important thing is not any individual, but people.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Crow
By Crow | Aug 13 2016 1:00 PM
admin: Basically because we're all the same.

We wear the same clothes, have the same hairstyle, adhere to the same subcultures, practice the same talents, are granted the same work ethic, share the same personality, ect.

Yep, definitely the same.

Only in caring for each other can we care for ourselves. The most important thing is not any individual, but people.

You can say that, but correlate it back to compassion being a guaranteed right.

You said you want to guarantee it as a right, so why and how do you go about doing that?
The ADB committee just changed its policy on 8/28/2016
No communication with admin. Ever.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 13 2016 1:27 PM
admin: All the progression humanity made was worked for. It was never free. Most of the stuff I have wasn't free. Gaining knowledge has nothing to do with what I said.
Anyways, back to earlier, the only issue you have with communism is the lack of a state and welfare to the unemployed?
admin
By admin | Aug 13 2016 3:50 PM
Crow: My previous reply explained why.

As for how, that's not relevant to the OP.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Aug 13 2016 3:51 PM
Bi0Hazard: It wasn't free, but we have it for free.

That's the main issue I have with it, yes. It assumes a mode of production that's really not been relevant since the 18th century.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Aug 24 2016 3:34 PM
To sum it up, I had a couple problems with communism. I have another to add as well.
1. Money may be a natural consequence of exchange. An eventual currency(medium of exchange) may form to use instead of bartering.
2. There may be shortages in goods due to people taking as much as they want. There is no form of measurement(like prices) on goods.
3. An individual may come to possess a means of production on their own, which is inconsistent with common ownership of production.

The first one assumes, of course, that we would naturally form a medium of exchange for trade. The second one assumes that people have unlimited wants, consuming more than contributing because there is no limit except for what you think you earned. The third assumes that property(ownership) is natural to humans.
Admin objected to the first two as problems by saying that the community can manage these, but if money(medium of exchange) is a natural consequence of exchange, then communities can't prevent this from happening. For the second one, the community surely can control the flow of goods to people to make sure people get a fair amount without shortages(spread out equally), but this isn't how communism works. In communism, people take whatever they determined they earned, nobody determines for them. What you earn will simply be self-determined. As for the third, someone may object by saying that in such a society, property(ownership) wouldn't exist. People would be conditioned to the society they were born in, so nobody would think to "own" a means of production they possess at the moment. They would have no concept of ownership of production in such a society. We only have that concept because we are conditioned to a capitalist economy. The problem with this is that ownership does exist in a communist society, just personal ownership, not ownership of any means of production. So, someone may not distinguish a difference and keep it for themselves. If the community found out and stole it from them, this would violate the principle of non-coercion and voluntarism. Also, if property is natural, then that would be a problem as well.

There are of course, many possible objections and arguments, but that is my summary.
Page: 1234Most Recent