EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

A plague in modern society

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 28 2016 5:53 PM
Never in history has there been a more pathetic generation.

There is no honor, pride, spirit, or conviction in modern society.

We squander our lives in search o materialistic possessions and senseless passions.

No one really fights for what they have anymore. People are empty inside, and as a result we live in an empty generation.

This is a sick and diseased world. We have brought shame on our ancestors. What we have built is a disgrace, as are all the people that continue to perpetuate our culture.

I don't care if everybody on earth has their own mansion. Without a fire burning in our hearts, all of it is meaningless.
admin
By admin | May 28 2016 5:57 PM
Priest of Swag: Spoken like Plato himself.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 28 2016 6:02 PM
admin: I don't care if Plato and me think alike. What do you think? Do you recognize an illness in our society?
admin
By admin | May 28 2016 6:06 PM
Priest of Swag: Certainly not one that hasn't always existed. There's nothing modern about it. Kids have always been apathetic.

Personally I don't mind because society as a whole progresses. Most people today live in a relatively peaceful, stress-free world.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 28 2016 6:17 PM
admin: Certainly not one that hasn't always existed. There's nothing modern about it. Kids have always been apathetic.

It isn't about apathy, but passions directed towards mindless pursuits, like sex, money, and popularity. In older generations, working men would spend their whole lives saving for their own land, and would treat their often meager possessions with the utmost pride and respect. That simply doesn't exist anymore.

Personally I don't mind because society as a whole progresses.
Society is regressing. The things we value are shameful.

There was a time in America where the phrase "give me liberty or give me death" meant something? The founders of modern countries would be outraged at what has been built upon their legacy, and I am even speaking for countries like Turkey and The ROC.

Most people today live in a relatively peaceful, stress-free world.

You can't say that. People are offing themselves constantly. When somebody reaches their later years, and realize they have shit to show for all the work they have done, it isn't very surprising.
admin
By admin | May 28 2016 6:23 PM
Priest of Swag: Oh, and which generation was this? Because sex, money and popularity have always been popular with youth last I checked.

In fairness:
1. Most of the founding fathers were hardly youth at the time they said those things, and
2. I'd say about half of them were hedonistic party animals. Only about a dozen or so were the smart ones.

I for one consider the world around me relatively peaceful and stress free. Heck, pencil manufacturers are having to open new factories to cope with the demand from adult coloring books. There is no other generation that has been THAT stress free they can afford to idly sit there and color stuff in in their spare time, to the extent that they overburden pencil factories.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 28 2016 6:28 PM
admin: Oh, and which generation was this? Because sex, money and popularity have always been popular with youth last I checked.
Only the rich and entitled kind.That's everybody now.

Referring back to the confessions of St. Augustine when I say that.

Most of the founding fathers were hardly youth at the time they said those things
Never said they were.

Most of the founding fathers were hardly youth at the time they said those things
Who mentioned America's founding fathers as a whole? I certainly didn't. \

I for one consider the world around me relatively peaceful and stress free.
Wait until you get older. You will see just how empty your life has been. What legacy are you going to leave behind for future generations? What do you have to be proud of in your old age?

There is no other generation that has been THAT stress free they can afford to idly sit there and color stuff in in their spare time, to the extent that they overburden pencil factories.

It isn't about stress. Their lives are so meaningless and eympty that they have nothing better to do than color. I find that whole affair pathetic. There is more to life than just looking for senseless enjoyment. People are realizing this when it is too late.
admin
By admin | May 28 2016 6:40 PM
Priest of Swag: A lot of people are still poor, but the whole effort of society is to make things easier for the next generation. As a result it's natural each subsequent generation will seem a bit more conceited. In reality they're just as insecure as their parents were. And personally I will see my life as a success if the next generation has an easier life.

They do it because it's fun. Maybe to you that's pathetic. Sometimes it's admirable, people expressing and enjoying themselves in their own way.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 28 2016 7:09 PM
admin: A lot of people are still poor
Poor people in the west are not actually poor. That even goes for the homeless and people who live in slums. They do so mostly by choice or a lack of work ethic.

In reality they're just as insecure as their parents were. And personally I will see my life as a success if the next generation has an easier life.
An easier life is far from being a better life. In fact, it tends to make it worst.

What are you actually out doing to better life for the future generation? What active service are you providing?

Also, what have you secured for yourself, that will make you proud when you are 60?

They do it because it's fun. Maybe to you that's pathetic.
Having fun isn't wrong, but it should be secondary to one's passions. Something to lighten the load after doing something meaningful. Retiring from life to color in books is pathetic, especially having never done anything with that life in the first place.

admin
By admin | May 28 2016 7:38 PM
Priest of Swag: So you believe - I believe poor people are often exploited by a system.

I can certainly answer all those questions for myself. I feel like the sort of people who get upset about those things have a real myopia of individualism. Everything we do in society, from our contributions to evolving language and shaping thoughts, has some form of ramifications. Indeed most progress cannot be attributed to an individual. Society as a whole invented the English language, not any one person. And nobody can deny that language, or maths, or the sciences etc etc are super important to the functioning and good order of our society.

If you don't think coloring in books is contributing anything meaningful, then you've missed most of the point of creativity. Human art and expressions are, in my view, among the most valuable treasures we produce. But of course that is only my own standard.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 2:08 PM
admin: So you believe - I believe poor people are often exploited by a system.

People in general are exploited by the system all the time. At least where I come from though, no one is exploited to the point of poverty.

I feel like the sort of people who get upset about those things have a real myopia of individualism

Explain that though. I have a very wide interpretation of what makes an individual unique, so what criteria are you setting?

And nobody can deny that language, or maths, or the sciences etc etc are super important to the functioning and good order of our society.

I'm lost where you are going with this individuality thing. I don't see one thing in this thread that relates to the arguments you are making, so why are you bringing them up?

If you don't think coloring in books is contributing anything meaningful, then you've missed most of the point of creativity. Human art and expressions are, in my view, among the most valuable treasures we produce. But of course that is only my own standard.

Getting too hung up on the coloring example. I do value creativity and expression, but I don't feel like coloring in a lined template is being creative or expressive.
admin
By admin | May 29 2016 5:12 PM
Priest of Swag: Then maybe you come from a position of privilege.

I'm bringing them up because personal reflections regarding the impact of private lives are socially constructed. To assess our social impact and come to a negative conclusion usually requires a personal approach to the question, whereas an impersonal one is probably more accurate.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 8:02 PM
admin: Then maybe you come from a position of privilege.

In reference to what? When I spoke of poverty being a choice, I was talking of my home state Michigan.

The only poverty I actually feel for, is the kind where someone is engaging in work, but due to multiple circumstances it is near impossible for them to accumulate a healthy amount of income. A farmer for example, who is plagued by bad soil, high taxes, and crime.

I'm bringing them up because personal reflections regarding the impact of private lives are socially constructed. To assess our social impact and come to a negative conclusion usually requires a personal approach to the question, whereas an impersonal one is probably more accurate.

Nonetheless your point is far from the topic, and doesn't really add much insight that I can see.
admin
By admin | May 29 2016 8:19 PM
Priest of Swag: Suppose that somebody can't engage in work because they have no capital and no job?

I don't know that it is far from the topic, you asked:
What are you actually out doing to better life for the future generation?
Which as I explained is clearly conflating individual and socially defined contributions.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 8:29 PM
admin: Suppose that somebody can't engage in work because they have no capital and no job?

So you want me to imagine something that is unfeasible? Like I said, there are billions of ways to make money.

If you want to make money one way, but do not yet have the capital, then go ahead and work somewhere else until you do.

Which as I explained is clearly conflating individual and socially defined contributions.

Okay, so why are you talking all this nonsense and not answering my question? Looks like a classic dodge...

What have been your individual contributions to the cause of creating a better life for future generations?
admin
By admin | May 29 2016 8:35 PM
Priest of Swag: But you can't work without a job. I don't think it's unfeasible.

I am answering the question. The answer is that everyone makes an individual contribution to social contributions. You just aren't making an effort to understand my answer.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 8:40 PM
admin: But you can't work without a job. I don't think it's unfeasible.

The only reason someone wouldn't have a job, is because they are choosing not to get one. Like I said from the beginning.

I am answering the question. The answer is that everyone makes an individual contribution to social contributions. You just aren't making an effort to understand my answer.

*Sigh*

Yeah, I get now that you are trying to substitute BS for a legitimate answer.

If that is going to be your answer though, then I can easily conclude that you have done nothing significant to any cause on your own. Which was going to be my point anyways.
admin
By admin | May 29 2016 8:42 PM
Priest of Swag: Can you imagine a world in which somebody wants to work but can't get a job?

I think it is more significant than any individual contribution will ever be. Nobody has contributed more individually than the collective, and I am proud to have been a good member of that collective.
Let's revive the forums!
Priest of Swag
By Priest of Swag | May 29 2016 8:57 PM
admin: Can you imagine a world in which somebody wants to work but can't get a job?
These people do exist, albeit helpless. Let's focus on the world we live in now though, okay?

I think it is more significant than any individual contribution will ever be. Nobody has contributed more individually than the collective, and I am proud to have been a good member of that collective.

What have your contributions to the collective been though? Having a job? Yeah, that is pretty meager and pathetic, considering how much potential there is in life to make an actual difference that can stand on its own.

To a point you made earlier ---> Society as a whole invented the English language, but there were also some individual scholars who refined upon it immensely. The English language took predominance because of early authors, whereas it could of easily been replaced by the three languages that composed it again. Another example being Germany. The German language would be fragmented into 50 individual parts if not for a very few select group of people.

So the point I am trying to make too, is that some people contribute more than others. In your state in life, you'll be able to take very little credit for anything by the time you die. Or so I think, since you haven't actually given any information on any impactful things you have done, besides just existing.
admin
By admin | May 29 2016 9:01 PM
Priest of Swag: I don't believe, if you take an average, there are any significant outliers. For example, Shakespeare may have written prose but it is society that has made it popular. Everyone who has read Shakespeare is therefore responsible for his success and can share in the merits of it. Same with any scholar. The English language actually took predominance because of conquest, as the Spanish language was dominant before it lol. In any event, who do you think really stands on their own through history?
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 12Most Recent