EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

War crimes

< Return to subforum
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 11 2015 6:03 PM
What is a "war crime"? How can there be "crimes" in war? It's war, right?

Somebody help me here. What are anybody's thoughts and opinions?
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 11 2015 7:14 PM
Krazy: For a start: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_engagement
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 11 2015 8:07 PM
nzlockie: War is war. It is literally a life and death situation. If they're going to have rules of war, then you might as well have, as Ben Carson said, a rule that says "no war". It's completely pointless.

Nations have to be completely arrogant and in over their heads to tell another nation how to fight, what weapons they can use, and who they can target. It's war, what do you expect? It makes no sense.
Thumbs up from:
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Aug 11 2015 11:29 PM
Krazy: I think you've watched too many movies.

Have you ever been in a school yard fight? It's exactly the same thing. "OK but no hitting below the belt!"

Of course there should be rules of engagement!
admin
By admin | Aug 12 2015 12:09 AM
Krazy: Ben Carson is an important authority on this topic?

Isn't he that random-as hopeful for the GOP nomination in the US presidential race who's particularly famous for his lack of knowledge on foreign policy?

I mean, not necessarily disagreeing with your point, I'm sort of in two minds about it, just surprised you'd name-drop Ben Carson, of all people, to support it.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 12 2015 2:03 AM
admin: Isn't he that random-as hopeful for the GOP nomination in the US presidential race who's particularly famous for his lack of knowledge on foreign policy?
He is one of many independent libertarians who leech off of a party membership in order to run for office in our two party system. In line with his American libertarian beliefs, he is against interventionism, even though that wont sell well with the GOP base.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 12 2015 2:09 AM
Ben Carson was actually just re-quoting a couple of other people who have stated, "If war crimes are to exist, we must first accept that war by itself is a crime."

@ Krazy

It is typical of us Americans to get caught up on "strong" words, such as the word "crime"

A crime is any violation or breach of the law. In this case, a war crime is a violation of the international agreements on war conduct, known also as the Geneva Conventions.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 12 2015 5:14 AM
admin: Ben Carson is an important authority on this topic?
No. I don't think he is. I didn't want to quote him. But since that phrase technically came from his mouth, I didn't want to be accused of plagiarizing. That's all. But no, Ben Carson as a person is irrelevant. I just didn't want to be accused of plagiarizing.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 12 2015 5:16 AM
nzlockie: I think you've watched too many movies.
I hate movies.

Have you ever been in a school yard fight? It's exactly the same thing. "OK but no hitting below the belt!"
War is a life and death situation, a school yard fight doesn't apply. In a life or death situation, there are no rules.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 12 2015 5:27 AM
nzlockie: Unless you see children in schools near you literally beating each other death.
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Aug 30 2015 3:33 AM
In my opinion, war crimes are when one nation commits acts towards another nation that it is at war with that are against basic human principle. While civilian casualties during war are often unavoidable, crimes such as the one's Japan committed in China during WWII including mass rapes, massacre of civilians and soldiers, etc. make the war barbaric. War should never be about annihilation of an entire population and crimes committed towards this goal are war crimes.
Victory: http://www.edeb8.com/forum/Games/828
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 30 2015 3:41 AM
Bolshevik-: Luckily war tribunals only punish the individual, as opposed to the nation

It wasn't like every Japanese officer in Nanjing was capturing sex slaves for their platoon