EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Stop caring for endangered animals.

< Return to subforum
RXR.
By RXR. | May 19 2015 11:14 PM
Extinction has ocurred for millions of years, so it's a natural process that should not be stopped. So who's with me
R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 19 2015 11:38 PM
RXR.: Haha, I remember we discussed this ages ago!

To play devils advocate here, how will this policy compensate for the inevitable decrease in biodiversity and do we think that this will cause potentially fragile ecosystems to collapse, or do we think that they'll survive?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 20 2015 7:40 AM
nzlockie: What is your actual position, so I can know what you are actually playing devils advocate for.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | May 20 2015 2:15 PM
Blackflag: I don't feel very strongly either way. I guess, to generalise, I'm happy for some species to die out due to their environment being removed or whatever; but I'd be against other animals dying out simply because they're being hunted for sport for example.

Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 20 2015 2:27 PM
nzlockie: I get the Darwinist arguments that species die as apart of a hegemony cycle, but I believe dying species can still be sustained and beneficial to the ecosystem when cared for in a controlled environment and or habitat. Not including Zoos, advancements in ecosystem engineering will probably be the greatest contributor to species co-existence on earth. If we can reform ecosystems to give every species a chance to survive, then that would be terrific.

Believe it or not, they have had the most success with monkeys. Primates can be easily trained to adapt and survive in any enviornment. Obviously other species are not as adaptable, so it seems imperative that we find ways to bring their basic needs to them instead of waiting for them to come to their basic needs, by which time the species may be close to extinction.