EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Which is more morally wrong ?

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
RXR.
By RXR. | May 9 2015 5:34 AM
1. A woman who had 2 abortions. (2nd Trimester)

or

2. A man who is a murderer.

No trick question. Just tell me, 1 or 2 is more worse.

R.I.P RXR
2015-2015
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 8:21 AM
RXR.: Number 2. Although there is something intrinsically wrong with the chick for needing an abortion twice. Not a good decision maker I'd say.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | May 9 2015 12:19 PM
RXR.: First one
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 12:37 PM
RXR.: Clearly 2. Don't see a major moral problem with 1 at all.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 12:44 PM
admin: Destroying life is morally wrong. I don't like people who step on ant hills or crush spiders for no reason, so why would I support someone killing a fetus twice? Maybe the first time it is acceptable, but having a second pregnancy and aborting that fetus as well is not excusable. In second trimester a fetus feels physical pain. The significance of that outweighs the significance of not using condoms or birth control.
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 12:46 PM
Blackflag: Would you say a person who put out ant poison to deal with an ant infestation, killing a whole colony of ants, is more morally wrong than a murderer?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 12:51 PM
admin: No. I didn't even make the claim that the person getting two abortions in this scenario is worst than a murderer.
That doesn't make the action not morally wrong, just less so.
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 12:52 PM
Blackflag: If I don't see a moral problem with killing ants en masse, I also have no problem killing other potential infestations, like unwanted potential children. Same sort of reasoning for me.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 12:56 PM
admin: You should see it as a problem. Insects play a role in our biotic society as much as any human. It seems contradictory to your philosophy that you would be fine killing off 1000's of ants, but the slightest emotional or physical harm to a human being should be fought using the fullest extent of the law. I mean, is there really even a reason why you would need to kill ants.

I just felt like it = I just felt like being a douche to a bunch of harmless living creatures
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 12:59 PM
Blackflag: I had grandparents who lived in an ant-infested house once. You couldn't even leave out a tub of toothpaste in the open - ants would break the seal and eat the toothpaste inside. It was actually horrible. Living with ants isn't great.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 1:01 PM
admin: It seems like they might have had a reason to get rid of the ants. What reason would someone have to step on an ant hill in the woods?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 1:02 PM
admin: Perhaps you can clear this up for me. If a living creature is being a pest than you have the right to kill it?
Why is the life of the ant more valuable than the life of a human. Lack of brainpower? Can I kill retarded people, they can be pests?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 1:03 PM
Blackflag: *then
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 1:05 PM
Blackflag: They didn't see it? Seriously though, I mean, when I'm hiking down a trail in the woods and a spider has spun a web across the trail, I break the spider-web to allow myself to pass. It won't destroy the ecosystem.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 1:07 PM
Blackflag: Humans are a unique case for me. I treat them by different rules arbitrarily.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 1:10 PM
admin: It damages the ecosystem. Every man is important to society, right? What about every insect? What is stopping you from going around it?
Lots of things in my life are nuisances, but that doesn't mean I have a violent reaction to every annoyance I encounter.

How many people regret having a child? A very small minority I would say. The fetus inside a pregnent woman has the potential to flourish into a full human being. That human being will go on to live a life. That human being will end up having a family, some way or another. That human being will be introduced to the wonders of life, and the pitfalls that come along the way. How selfish would it be to kill a beautiful growing "idea" for the sake of temporary comfort?

Abortion is clearly selfish, no other way to put it.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 1:11 PM
admin: That is because you have a tendency to be hypocritical. When people solidify core beliefs, they'll make up any excuse to defend that belief, even at the cost of contradicting other more minor beliefs. Humans shouldn't be a unique case for you. What is the difference between a 8 year old with downs syndrome and a Mole besides shared characteristics?
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 1:13 PM
Blackflag: That young child in Paraguay on the news recently, who was refused an abortion after her stepfather raped her... would you apply the same standard to that? "Oh, she's so selfish!"
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 9 2015 1:16 PM
admin: Yes, I would. Just because a human being is produced through rape doesn't diminish that human beings worthiness to live a wonderful and long existence. It is sad that she was raped, but putting her feelings over the future joy and happiness of her son is insanely selfish.
admin
By admin | May 9 2015 1:16 PM
Blackflag: It boils down to how far you extend the principle of compassion. Living an omnicompassionate life is basically self-contradictory, and people draw the line as to acceptable suffering in different places. For me, I would argue for a minimization of human suffering and, on a lower level than that, a minimization of animal suffering.
Let's revive the forums!
Page: 12Most Recent