EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Drug Legalization

< Return to subforum
Page: 12345Most Recent
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | May 7 2015 2:40 PM
Dassault Papillon: I mean, we consider it acceptable to restrict the freedom of children, and in the sense that it's in our nature to make really bad choices we are all similar to children, except for the very best of us. Autonomy and happiness are not always compatible.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:40 PM
Sorry, but the stats don't support that. Drug use invariably increases with legalization. The message we should be giving people is "don't do drugs, drugs will ruin your life" because that's what's best for society. If murder was legal, more people would die, too. Laws are incentive reward systems, where freedom is the reward for responsibilities that being a member of society gives you. '
Okay, give me your statistics. You need to back up this counter claim mate.
There was a survey or two on the news on whether the people who bought drugs in Colorado marijuana shops were previously using marijuana. That is my evidence.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:43 PM
admin: Sorry, but I already drew the line for you. Physical pain is a far more precise and clear consequence. Consequences involving threats to societies productivity or emotional well being are far more minor, far more open to interpretation, and much more subject to perspective. That is the difference you are not understanding.

My liberty to make a possibly bad decision for myself outweighs your liberty to restrict my liberty to make a possibly bad decision for myself. I take dominance, you don't. The world doesn't revolve around the elites, get over it.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:44 PM
admin: Once again to reiterate: if I don't know what's best, the drug industry sure as hell doesn't. Imagine if somebody invented a drug that gave people intense pleasure from voting for a particular political party, and killed them if they didn't. There's simply no reason to constrain choices like that.
Good, then neither you or the drug industry are qualified to talk. You cannot sit here and say that other people shouldn't have the choice to take drugs, and also claim that
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:46 PM
Blackflag: Once again to reiterate: if I don't know what's best, the drug industry sure as hell doesn't. Imagine if somebody invented a drug that gave people intense pleasure from voting for a particular political party, and killed them if they didn't. There's simply no reason to constrain choices like that.
*Good, then neither you or the drug industry are qualified to talk. You cannot sit here and say that other people shouldn't have the choice to take drugs, and also claim that you do not know what is best. Maybe people more qualified than you do know what is for the best. What gives you the right to tell them not to take drugs if you do not have all the answers?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:47 PM
Dassault Papillon: I mean, we consider it acceptable to restrict the freedom of children, and in the sense that it's in our nature to make really bad choices we are all similar to children, except for the very best of us. Autonomy and happiness are not always compatible.
Partially true. Not all autonomy leads to happiness, but all happiness is a result of autonomy. There is no happiness in bondage to a slavemaster.
admin
By admin | May 7 2015 2:49 PM
Blackflag: Sure, but that tells you nothing about the RATE of drug use, just a proportion of the early-adopter population. The rate is actually on the increase: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27212493/marijuana-use-increases-colorado-according-new-federal-survey

My counter example would be Alaska. Cannabis used to be legal there, and they had double the number of cannabis users and cannabis-related crime.

Or basically ANY OTHER TIME WHEN ITS BEEN LEGALIZED.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | May 7 2015 2:51 PM
Blackflag: I think when people get turned into drug-obsessed zombies, that's as precise and clear as it gets.

I'm not at liberty to restrict your liberty - but we are both at liberty to restrict our own liberty provided that the other person restricts theirs. That's how law works. Not by a king handing down orders, but by a nationwide mutual forfeiture of rights. That is the difference you are not understanding.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | May 7 2015 2:52 PM
Blackflag: You cannot sit here and say that other people shouldn't have the choice to take drugs, and also claim that you do not know what is best.
Yes I can. I think they shouldn't, but I more strongly trust in the mandate of the masses. If my argument is persuasive, then it can change minds, win votes, get a mandate. If not, so be it. I'm still entitled to my views.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:54 PM
admin: Stag: Sure, but that tells you nothing about the RATE of drug use, just a proportion of the early-adopter population. The rate is actually on the increase: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27212493/marijuana-use-increases-colorado-according-new-federal-survey

My counter example would be Alaska. Cannabis used to be legal there, and they had double the number of cannabis users and cannabis-related crime.

Or basically ANY OTHER TIME WHEN ITS BEEN LEGALIZED.

Cannabis related crime? What does that even mean. Cannabis is harmless to me, and it is harmless to you. That is supported by science. Cannabis also doesn't have any negative stigma associated with it anymore.

If they legalized meth, the stigma associated with meth would still exist, and few people would take up meth as a result of legalization. And WGAF if they did? Their personal life choices are not my business. I cannot further that stance without also being an authoritarian elite liberal.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:55 PM
admin: Yes I can. I think they shouldn't, but I more strongly trust in the mandate of the masses. If my argument is persuasive, then it can change minds, win votes, get a mandate. If not, so be it. I'm still entitled to my views.
You are right. You are entitled to your views. Your contradicting and hypocritical views.
If you do not have the answers then you would be hypocritical to decide for others what is best for them. But nevermind that, you are allowed to not make any sense...
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 2:57 PM
Stag: I think when people get turned into drug-obsessed zombies, that's as precise and clear as it gets.

I'm not at liberty to restrict your liberty - but we are both at liberty to restrict our own liberty provided that the other person restricts theirs. That's how law works. Not by a king handing down orders, but by a nationwide mutual forfeiture of rights. That is the difference you are not understanding.

Perhaps that is a good argument for constitutions. A constitution is a good way to ensure good things are not taken away by a bad idea.
Many constitutions recognize the right to do what you want with your own body. Perhaps we can make that into a mainstream constitutional liberty.
admin
By admin | May 7 2015 2:58 PM
Blackflag: What science? Cannabis is not harmless. Look at the Colerado crime statistics, more and more crimes are being committed on cannabis, above and beyond crimes NOT committed while high on cannabis. That should tell you something.

The cannabis use rate in colerado is now coming up to a third of all adults, and almost 10% of youth. It's scary as hell how fast it has spread.

Unless you want your country infested with people like this guy, it's just a silly argument:
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | May 7 2015 3:00 PM
Blackflag: We should debate one day if formalized constitutions are a good idea.

It's like on the simpsons - "I'll just start walking this way punching the air, and if you get hit it's your own fault"
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 3:01 PM
I also think you are commiting a consensual fallacy. I know how democracies work. If the majority of people say no to drugs then no to drugs it is. I am arguing to defeat that opinion. A case cannot stand on a popular opinion fallacy admin. Right now, cannabis legalization is a popular opinion here, but you have not seen me make that argument, have you?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 3:04 PM
Stag: What science? Cannabis is not harmless. Look at the Colerado crime statistics, more and more crimes are being committed on cannabis, above and beyond crimes NOT committed while high on cannabis. That should tell you something.

The cannabis use rate in colerado is now coming up to a third of all adults, and almost 10% of youth. It's scary as hell how fast it has spread.

Sorry mate. You have lived in ignorance to the affects of pot for to long. Unsurveyed, I would estimate that 30% of the youth in my state are doing pot currently. It makes people chill and relaxed, not into murderous sociopathic lunatics. Look up the science, not the bullshit.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 3:06 PM
What a stoner ACTUALLY looks like. Harmless to me and harmless to myself.
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.HpPmJLacLD49iXbf%2brLiVw&pid=15.1&P=0
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 7 2015 3:07 PM
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.FsC%2bAzM9IVBcWGB02%2fT2YQ&pid=15.1&P=0
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | May 7 2015 3:38 PM
It's not so much that marijuana makes one violent so much as long-term use can destroy brain cells and lower one's mental capacity.
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | May 7 2015 3:42 PM
Considering that grades in the United States are already horribly low on average, the last thing this nation needs is a bunch of students going "wheeeeeeeee!"
Thus, it should definitely be restricted for minors.
Page: 12345Most Recent