EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Could Santa actually exist?

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Dec 18 2016 11:00 PM
Is it scientifically possible for the legend to be true?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Wylted
By Wylted | Dec 19 2016 12:39 AM
The fact I have to buy presents for my kid, tells me no. If we are talking about the comercialized one anyway. The original legend that made him a saint could be a different story.
Polymath
By Polymath | Dec 23 2016 10:47 AM
admin: Saint Nicholas was indeed real. He was born in 3rd century Turkey and was a Bishop.
Mharman
By Mharman | Nov 19 2017 11:09 AM
admin: Well, for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Let's go with the science of the reindeer. First off, no part of their body is geared for flight and cannot perform such a task. In order for Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and et cetera to fly, they'd have to be performing a series of double/triple/infinity jumps in the air.

When a person jumps, they push down into the ground, and the ground pushes upwards back with the equal amount of force, causing you to spring up in the air. The thing is, the ground is solid enough for you to push down on it without it being moved out of the way. The air moves out of the way when you touch it. To double-jump, you would have to exert enough force to push off the air before it moves out of the way. The problem is, there are massive consequences to using this amount of force.

The reason air moves out of the way is due to it being gas. The atoms are further apart and they want to stay that way. When you on the air and are falling down, your feet get the atoms get to close for comfort and they move away from each other, diffusing into the space where your head used to be as you fall down. If you used enough force, you would push the atoms close enough to act as if the air were a solid and bounce off of it. However, the resulting explosion would create a massive crack in the Earth's crust going all the way the the mantle.
With Liberty and Justice for all!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Nov 19 2017 11:53 AM
Wylted: But how do you know? I'll bet you never tried just not buying anything for your kids to see what would happen. :)
felicitygrace19
By felicitygrace19 | Dec 8 2017 5:16 PM
Mharman: Did you just quote Hamilton?
Wylted
By Wylted | Feb 6 2018 11:18 PM
Dassault Papillon: I’ve tried it, but the fiancé won’t allow it
Mharman
By Mharman | Feb 8 2018 1:50 PM
Wylted: Yay Wylted's getting married. Good luck
With Liberty and Justice for all!