EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Gene Editing in Humans

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Feb 20 2016 8:54 AM
The technology is still some ways off but there are numerous diseases scientists would love to treat in people! Is this a slippery slope to designer babies or could it potentially save millions of lives? Should experiments into it be allowed?

#OperationRevivetheForums
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Feb 20 2016 11:21 AM
admin: I think that we should allow it but tread carefully. No superhumans; just fix those with disabilities.
admin
By admin | Feb 20 2016 11:37 AM
Dassault Papillon: The risk is that, should things continue to develop, what could governments do to stop someone who might discover how to make superhumans? (for want of a better word). Surely people would try it!

Should there be a forced abortion in that case? If a "superhuman" is undetected in the womb and actually birthed, should there be the death penalty for superhumans?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Feb 20 2016 1:27 PM
admin: Castration before he/she reaches reproductive age. Very heavy punishment for his/her creator.
condeelmaster
By condeelmaster | Feb 21 2016 3:20 AM
But, why would it be bad to have superhumans? In my opinion, that wouldn't be rather amazing.
Rodrigo!
condeelmaster
By condeelmaster | Feb 21 2016 3:20 AM
condeelmaster: would be *
Rodrigo!
admin
By admin | Feb 21 2016 4:27 PM
condeelmaster: The usual argument is that it exacerbates inequality.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 21 2016 11:25 PM
My main problem with gene editing is that if somebody can edit the genetics in a positive way, then they can do it in a negative way. And I would rather have a disease than have it cured by gene editing by men who had power to do a lot worse.

Not to mention the fact that it boldly violates human rights. Do they have that baby's permission to mess with their genes? Yeah, didn't think so.

As far as the experiments go. If it kills or harms the baby from conception, then it's wrong.
condeelmaster
By condeelmaster | Feb 22 2016 1:49 AM
admin: Yes, I guess it could become a comercial thing. However, if we have an equality-pro approach, it would be an interesting solution to some human problems.
Rodrigo!