EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Do we possess freewill?

< Return to subforum
Simplesimon
By Simplesimon | Aug 4 2018 2:30 AM
Is there any objective reason to believe that human beings have freewill? Is there any objective reason to believe that they don't?

The default position of course is skepticism so will be operating under the starting presumption that freewill is unnecessary. This does not constitute a claim that freewill does not exist just an admitin that we do not know combined with the application of Occam's Razer.
Thumbs up from:
Imagine
By Imagine | Feb 19 2019 3:00 PM
You used your free will when you answered your own question x
KickTheCan
By KickTheCan | Mar 16 2019 12:16 AM
Depends if you believe in Destiny and Fate and that Man cannot choose his own path. Or there is no such thing as Destiny and Fate and we are left to our own design. Sometimes we feel as though events are destined in our lives through amazing coincidences that we experience at various times and we subscribe to the theory of the former. Other times we believe that when things go right or go wrong in our lives that we can pat ourselves on the back or accept we just made the wrong choice and subscribe to the latter. However, I believe in personal responsibilities in how our lives ultimately turn out and we have freewill to choose which paths we walk. I also believe that life has a way of producing events that draw us to a certain path, call it destiny, because of our genetic heritage which can dictate an inate ability, or talent, to destroy ourselves or enable ourselves in various ways. Not sure if any of that answers your question but I don't think there is any outside force, if that is what some might choose to believe, that dictates how our lives turn out.
Greatest I am
By Greatest I am | Mar 31 2019 4:14 AM
Hi guys.

It happens that we do have a free will which is only limited by nature and physics.

I have an irrefutable little test that proves you all a free will.

If you wish to take my little test, it follows the thinking of Imagine's thinking, then indicate that desire and I will provide.

Regards
DL