EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Your political philosophy and favorite philosopher

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 4 2017 6:01 PM
admin: You said this:
The reason people are valuable is because they are people.
How do you know this? The only way for this to be true is to assume that this identity of being a "person" is an independent reality and this independent reality has inherent objective worth. Even by accepting this, we still can't conclude that therefore society ought to create societal institutions that give social and political equality to all citizens by birthright.
admin
By admin | Mar 4 2017 6:23 PM
Bi0Hazard: Right, those are the premises on which I guide my beliefs on the kind of moral society we want to create. I don't agree that the worth need be objective but certainly that people exist, and that personhood is a kind of value are premises of my moral argument. Social and political institutions just mirror what we believe about people. If we think some persons are superior, then those institutions will value people differently. It follows naturally from the assumptions we hold about people.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 5 2017 3:34 PM
admin: The worth does need to be objective otherwise there is no inherent worth and therefore no justification.
admin
By admin | Mar 5 2017 3:35 PM
Bi0Hazard: So you think things need to be objective to be inherent? Why?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 5 2017 3:36 PM
admin: Yes, because that is what being inherent requires, it requires to be actual.
admin
By admin | Mar 5 2017 3:57 PM
Bi0Hazard: Subjective is actual. It's just not always the same.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 6 2017 10:06 AM
admin: It is nothing more than what you think, so it isn't actual.
admin
By admin | Mar 6 2017 4:02 PM
Bi0Hazard: ... and that can't be inherent?

I disagree strongly either way. Everyone's reality is actual for them. It's profoundly limiting to suggest that any one "actual" reality should be greater than all others because we all see the world through our own personal lens with our own personal bias.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 7 2017 11:03 AM
admin: Nobody has their own "actual" reality. There is an objective world that is independent of our subjective perspective.
admin
By admin | Mar 7 2017 2:59 PM
Bi0Hazard: How do you know?
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 7 2017 4:56 PM
admin: I don't truly know, it is just that experience has most successfully demonstrated the objective natural world and its consistency (science).
admin
By admin | Mar 7 2017 8:23 PM
Bi0Hazard: Consistent according to our subjective observations... that doesn't mean it's true. It just means our subjective perceptions have some regularity to them.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 8 2017 1:52 PM
admin: Well anyways, Marx is cool.
admin
By admin | Mar 8 2017 1:59 PM
Bi0Hazard: Oh? I thought he went out of fashion about a century ago?
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 8 2017 2:03 PM
admin: Many of his ideas are relevant today. I like some of it.
admin
By admin | Mar 8 2017 2:04 PM
Bi0Hazard: Sure but I think it's largely been modernized. Things have changed.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 8 2017 2:10 PM
admin: Yes, but Marxist ideas remain important. A favorite economist of mine, Richard D. Wolff, is labeled a "Marxian" economist.
Page: 12Most Recent