EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Your political philosophy and favorite philosopher

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 2 2017 6:36 AM
Explain your personal political philosophy and view on society.

What is your favorite political philosopher of all times?
admin
By admin | Mar 2 2017 2:17 PM
Bi0Hazard: I like my own political philosophy.

Seriously though, I'm a liberal, and have various policy beliefs that may or may not align with mainstream liberal positions. Among political philosophers I admire ... Machiavelli had a big effect on me when I was a teenager, for example ;)
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 2 2017 4:05 PM
admin: Liberalism is too broad, explain further.
What do you want society and more specifically, political institutions, to be like? I remember you saying that you are for more localized authority rather than a large sovereign empire. I know you are for representative democracy, I think... What about direct democracy?

I am creating my own political theory, one to succeed liberal democracy (which is predominate nowadays).
admin
By admin | Mar 2 2017 9:25 PM
Bi0Hazard: People exercise direct democracy in some ways. I support it only when it is practical to do so, however. The vast majority of people simply do not care about politics nor should they have to most of the time.

I have my own balanced ideal of freedom and equality. I'm anti-authoritarian and progressive. Overall I want society with inclusive diversity, respect and responsibility. Political institutions always reflect society anyway.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 3 2017 10:31 AM
admin: How is equality and liberty inherently good? What about it makes it the best option for society?
admin
By admin | Mar 3 2017 2:24 PM
Bi0Hazard: The value here is people. People are important things. All people, not some people. Equality means not valuing some people above others. Freedom means having that respect for one another.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 3 2017 7:02 PM
admin: Why should all people be considered equal?
admin
By admin | Mar 3 2017 7:09 PM
Bi0Hazard: The reason people are valuable is because they are people. All people are people. No person is more of a person than other people.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 3 2017 7:14 PM
admin: How does the quality of being person imply that there ought to be social and political equality among all people? I don't see anything inherent about personhood that demonstrates this.
admin
By admin | Mar 3 2017 7:18 PM
Bi0Hazard: Social and political equality is the expression of rights. If everyone has the same value (being a person) then it follows we afford them the same values (as personal natural rights).
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 3 2017 7:26 PM
admin: Does common identity necessarily imply equality? All cats are equal to all cats? All chairs are equal to all chairs?
admin
By admin | Mar 3 2017 7:30 PM
Bi0Hazard: Sure, that's the law of identity. Having the same value means your value should be the same. All people are people and therefore should be valued as people should be valued.

There's only one little moderating factor here and that's freedom. For example if somebody makes a bad (yet free) decision, let them live with the consequences.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 3 2017 7:42 PM
admin: Sure, that's the law of identity. Having the same value means your value should be the same.
I just can't make sense of how anyone can derive an "ought" (all people ought to have the same value) from an "is" (all humans share a common identity of being people).
admin
By admin | Mar 3 2017 7:47 PM
Bi0Hazard: If you accept as a premise that people have value, then you value people. I say ought because I believe people have that value and am explaining my reasoning for that. The IS signifies the premise, OUGHT the conclusion. All moral statements can be characterised this way...

Businesses ARE Evil, they OUGHT to be banned.
God IS good, they OUGHT to be worshipped.
Cheese IS tasty, we OUGHT to eat it.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 4 2017 5:56 AM
admin: The IS signifies the premise, OUGHT the conclusion.
Impossible, you can't derive an ought from an is without appealing to objective morality.
Businesses ARE Evil, they OUGHT to be banned.
Why should evil businesses be banned?
God IS good, they OUGHT to be worshipped.
Why should good things be worshipped?
Cheese IS tasty, we OUGHT to eat it.
Why should tasty things be eaten?
admin
By admin | Mar 4 2017 7:01 AM
Bi0Hazard: You can deny morality by denying the link or the rationale. Do you think anything at all is morally true? If so, why?
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 4 2017 3:46 PM
admin: I think your belief relies on objective morality to be justified. There is nothing inherent in human biology or nature that tells us we ought to create a society on democracy, egalitarianism, and liberalism.
admin
By admin | Mar 4 2017 4:11 PM
Bi0Hazard: That's an ethical problem. You can't examine ethics using science if that's what you're implying - that would mean being able to correctly predict the future, which science can't.
Let's revive the forums!
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | Mar 4 2017 5:27 PM
My beliefs:
-That the Judeo-Christian Triune God exists, and that this God ought to be worshipped and obeyed by humans
-That true free will cannot logically exist
-That a nuclear war ought to be avoided
-That there ought to be many nations, so as to preserve human cultural diversity and to prevent all power from being concentrated in a global governing body which could be corrupted. Countries ought to be interconnected and to help prevent each other from becoming corrupted
-As an American, that the best interests of the United States ought to be promoted by the United States government, and that American citizens also ought to seek the highest good of their country
-That China is the greatest foreign challenge and threat to the United States, with Russia being perhaps second
-That the United States ought to act against national demographic changes which threaten to destabilize the country (I.e. large scale Hispanic and Muslim immigration)
-That recreational drugs like heroin should not be legalized, since it is almost impossible for frequent recreational drug users to live happy lives (with certain exceptions, such as maybe LSD)
-That on Earth there ought to continually be new generations of human beings instead of just the same large bunch of people living eternally with no new people being born, and that America ought to continually spawn new generations of native-born Americans
-That abortion should not be permitted under any circumstances save that in which the life of the mother is endangered
-That all people should have the unconditional right to privacy of mind, no matter the crime
-That the U.S. National Debt should not be allowed to grow so large that paying it off is impossible or virtually impossible
-That there exists a clear and objective gender binary, maybe with the rare exception of intersex individuals
-That all people should have a single lifelong gender identity, preferably that which corresponds with their biological sex of birth, one which falls either into the "Male" or "Female" category, with no strange in-between or third options
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Mar 4 2017 5:49 PM
Dassault Papillon: -That China is the greatest foreign challenge and threat to the United States, with Russia being perhaps second
The country/nation that is the greatest challenge to the U.S. is the U.S. itself. China is not a major threat.
Page: 12Most Recent