EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

What's your favorite bible verse?

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Feb 7 2017 11:00 PM
Do you have one? If so, what is it?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 8 2017 8:52 AM
admin: What I want to know is, what's yours?
admin
By admin | Feb 8 2017 11:49 AM
Krazy: Lol.

Probably Mark 16:8 they said nothing to any one, for they were afraid.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 8 2017 3:01 PM
admin: Why?

This isn't my favorite verse, but I think it's interesting.

Soliman is describing his beautiful wife...

Thy navel is like a round goblet, which wanteth not liquor: thy belly is like an heap of wheat set about with lilies.
Song of Solomon 7:2 KJV

The Bible says that a beautiful woman should be a little fat. A little fluffy. She needs to have a little fluff to her.

That goes against what the media and Hollywood teaches that the perfect girl should be extremely skinny and slightly anorexic.
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 8 2017 3:28 PM
Krazy:
Soliman is describing his beautiful wife...

*Solomon*
Random Stranger
By Random Stranger | Feb 9 2017 12:59 AM
I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

Philippians 1:20
I'm probably the person next to you.
admin
By admin | Feb 10 2017 2:10 PM
Krazy: Because it's a perfect ending to a gospel. In ancient times it was common for writers to "leave open" a big moral question posed in the rest of the text. For example, in the very last sentence of the Aeneid, Aeneas does something completely unexpected. The ending of Mark leaves open a lot of big questions. Did Jesus really resurrect? How did the author know about this?

Mark's whole structure seems, to me, based around his ending. The gospel starts in miraculous terms, with literally a deep voice calling out from a cloud like how God is portrayed in Hollywood movies. Then it builds to the ministry of Jesus, where Jesus is framed in (my opinion here) much more human terms than the other gospels, based on the archetype of the Greek tragic hero. Mark's short, damning dialogue mirrors Lucian in its irony, as all this builds to the crucifixion of, apparently, the "Son of Man." And then in the end it's like "Or was he?" The entire part here (in my mind this is deliberate) opens up more questions than it answers.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Feb 10 2017 2:21 PM
Krazy: Uhm... ok, you do know he's discussing her bellybutton right?

Beauty is not the concern of the Bible. The point of the Song of Solomon is totally missed in this interpretation IMHO. After all cf Romans 8:6 "The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace." Or 1 Samuel 16:7 "People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 10 2017 5:08 PM
I don't know for sure what mine is, but here is one I really like:
And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you.
Exodus 3:14 KJV

It demonstrates what God really is.
Krazy
By Krazy | Feb 11 2017 6:58 AM
admin: Uhm... ok, you do know he's discussing her bellybutton right
It's her belly