EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Are most people moral?

< Return to subforum
admin
By admin | Jan 26 2017 11:00 PM
Do you think that people in general tend to be more good than evil? Or is there more evil than good?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jan 27 2017 10:00 AM
admin: This would assume that objective morality exists (unless you mean relatively good or evil depending on societal context or personal opinion). I do believe in objective morality.
I think of people as being filled with immoral desires. People will inevitably do immoral things since they are a part of a world that has conditions that will lead to this. I don't believe people are inherently evil by their own nature (as if you could inherit immaterial morality), just that the conditions of our world will always lead humans to immoral behavior. There are moral desires as well, but they are easy to forget.
DumDum
By DumDum | Jan 30 2017 6:20 PM
Not everyone believes what they are doing is immoral. We use the word evil to describe what majority of us find horrific but what about when someone grew up in a household where killing is a normal daily pass time. That person wouldn't believe it is evil, that person might feel they are doing good by participating in a family activity. I believe people lean more towards the character traits of their role model. What the role model finds moral is what they find moral, hence why religion is important for humanity.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jan 31 2017 6:25 AM
DumDum: Are you saying morality is subjective?
boris7698
By boris7698 | Feb 3 2017 7:35 PM
People are born "tabula rasa" which means "a blank plate." The have the faculty to learn and reason, but they have no content. Then they can become good or evil depending on how effectively they use their faculty to process information. This process is directed by their volition (free will).
"You can avoid reality, but you can not avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." -- Ayn Rand
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Feb 4 2017 10:58 AM
boris7698: Do you believe in the existence of objective morality?
boris7698
By boris7698 | Feb 4 2017 9:05 PM
Yes. Small correction: I don't believe in it. I know that. It is so simple, really: there is only one reality -- that which corresponds to it is the objective. For instance: drinking arsenic is bad, because the reality is so that a person would die from it.
"You can avoid reality, but you can not avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." -- Ayn Rand