EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Is There A Soul?

< Return to subforum
Page: 123Most Recent
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 3:51 AM
admin: I think it's the little part of you that goes to the first heaven. I don't know what they look like because I've never seen them.
Please excuse me as I'm not super creative when it comes to forum signatures.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 24 2014 9:46 AM
admin: Not really. It would be more like the human person is like a mannequin in a store. When we die its like the clothes are destroyed leaving only the wire framing behind.
The bible says that after death we are given a new body, that would be like putting new clothes on the framing.

If you compare that analogy to your Facebook one, you can see that in mine the soul IS the person, whereas in yours, its just a representation of them.

There is some biblical evidence to suggest that parts of our mind/memories are retained after the body dies, but personally I don't really care either way. Nothing i can do about it so im happy just to wait and see.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 9:49 AM
nzlockie: I like that.
admin
By admin | Jan 24 2014 10:10 AM
nzlockie: In that analogy, what do the clothes represent? My mind and body, or just the body?

In other words, could I summarize the belief in souls as being the belief that there is more to me than my mind and body, and that this part of me survives death?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 10:53 AM
admin: Yes.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 24 2014 5:08 PM
admin: Yes.
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 24 2014 5:18 PM
I think the bible makes it pretty clear that the physical body is gone once you die. So the clothes definitely represent that.
The mind is a little less clear. A strong case could be made that some of our mind is retained after death, ie memories; but there would also be a strong case that some of our mental aspects are also gone, ie sinful nature.

That's why I personally think the essential component of "what is a soul" is the fact that it is eternal. My completely unfounded opinion is that aspects of what we think of as our mind are also incorporated into the soul, but the bible doesn't speak to that specifically and I don't think there's much to be gained by guessing one way or the other.

I don't need to know ALL the details to make my decisions, just the critical bits. :)
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 24 2014 5:18 PM
I think the bible makes it pretty clear that the physical body is gone once you die. So the clothes definitely represent that.
The mind is a little less clear. A strong case could be made that some of our mind is retained after death, ie memories; but there would also be a strong case that some of our mental aspects are also gone, ie sinful nature.

That's why I personally think the essential component of "what is a soul" is the fact that it is eternal. My completely unfounded opinion is that aspects of what we think of as our mind are also incorporated into the soul, but the bible doesn't speak to that specifically and I don't think there's much to be gained by guessing one way or the other.

I don't need to know ALL the details to make my decisions, just the critical bits. :)
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 6:03 PM
Double post^
admin
By admin | Jan 24 2014 6:04 PM
nzlockie: A shame that the belief is completely unfounded. Otherwise I could totally have used it in my debate http://www.edeb8.com/debate/There+Probably+is+no+Afterlife/ ;D
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 6:25 PM
admin: Unfounded?
admin
By admin | Jan 24 2014 6:27 PM
Pinkie: You think you can found it for me?
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 6:29 PM
admin: No, I don't understand what you mean.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 6:30 PM
Pinkie: Oh, I get it. Nope, not without the Bible, and I'm pretty sure that holds no weight.
admin
By admin | Jan 24 2014 6:33 PM
Pinkie: Oh, I used a bible to fix my table's lean once. *runs and hides before people spot my terrible pun*
Let's revive the forums!
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 24 2014 6:38 PM
admin: Sometimes I pray for you.
JV-Stalin
By JV-Stalin | Jan 30 2014 5:08 AM
I tend to think the mind is separate from the body. If you define a soul as that, then I'd say it exists. But I believe its dependent on whatever this body is.
"He who stand on toilet is high on pot"- Confucius
JV-Stalin
By JV-Stalin | Jan 30 2014 5:09 AM
JV-Stalin: *it's
"He who stand on toilet is high on pot"- Confucius
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 30 2014 6:09 AM
If by that you mean that it dies with the body then I'd say you already a name for it, its the mind.
"Soul" is a religious term and religion defines it as having eternality as one of its key characteristics. Using the same word for something so fundamentally different just muddies the waters.
Pinkie
By Pinkie | Jan 30 2014 8:04 AM
nzlockie: Yeah, that is true.

Page: 123Most Recent