About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Is Islam a religion of peace?

< Return to subforum
Page: 1234567811Most Recent
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 24 2015 2:55 PM
the Orthodox church etc have no problem with Paul
I never said that did.

He didn't have nearly the same influence on Eastern Theology as the other Church fathers did. The patriarchal communities are much more enchanted by the ascetic and charity aspects of christianty, whereas the western churchs are caught up in telling people they will rot in hell for disobedience to the Christian way. Paul was the most vocal about fear, and he travelled West. As a consequence, the West is far more susceptible to fear mongering.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 24 2015 2:56 PM
Sure, but Paul was not the reason for the schism. The eastern church and the western church both take his writings as just as important as, say, Luke or John.
Okay, so you are getting off my original points.

My original point was that Paul had influenced the West far more than the East.
admin
By admin | Aug 24 2015 2:59 PM
Blackflag: No, your point was this:

Why is Paul an unquestionable authority on Christianity? Because the pope put his writings in the bible?

I'm saying that it wasn't just because the pope put him there, but because he actually helped start the whole thing.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 24 2015 3:01 PM
I also do not have a problem with Paul, besides the fact that he is treated as a supreme authority on morality just because Rome put him in the bible.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 24 2015 3:04 PM
I'm saying that it wasn't just because the pope put him there, but because he actually helped start the whole thing.
No, our argument started because you declared Paul the founder of Christianity, twice.

Anyways, he did help spread Christianity, but that doesn't make him any less human than the rest of the Church Fathers. He wasn't even invoked with the knowledge of the Holy Spirt like the rest of the disciples according to scripture, so why is he making claims that people will burn in hell for things Jesus never preached about?

Why? Because he was originally an Orthodox Jew who was apart of a highly conservative community.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 24 2015 3:06 PM
The overlying point is that the bible is a book written by humans, which doesn't make Paul the voice of God. Therefore I am fine disagreeing with him now and then, just like I do other Church Fathers who weren't put in the bible.
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Aug 24 2015 3:10 PM
Krazy: Religion was created to control the masses and the Bible is just a piece of propaganda to brainwash people. Clearly you are such a person and therefore I will not waste any more of my time in this thread.
Victory: http://www.edeb8.com/forum/Games/828
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 24 2015 3:12 PM
Bolshevik-: Religion was created to control the masses and the Bible is just a piece of propaganda to brainwash people
I disagree. Religion was created to help unify people into helping each other. It was abused to control people.

The bible promotes free will in decisions of morality, but rulers use the bible to take away that free will. Hypocrites, right?
admin
By admin | Aug 24 2015 3:14 PM
Blackflag: I consider him to be such. That's not to say somebody else can consider him to not be. It's subjective. But regardless Paul is an authority on Christianity, just one you happen to disagree with. And that's because he helped define Christianity.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 24 2015 3:51 PM
Bolshevik-: You know atheism is a faith-based religion too, right?

A definition of religion by the dictionary is "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith". Under this definition, atheism can certainly be categorized as a religion.

It's so ironic when I hear some atheists argue vehemently how much religion is a problem when they themselves are more religious than most Christians.
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Aug 24 2015 5:10 PM
Krazy: Thats a definition you cherry picked from the dictionary. The real definition is " the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. "
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Aug 24 2015 5:14 PM
Krazy: Christianity is a religion and therefore Christians are religious. Atheism isn't a religion because Atheists are not religious.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 24 2015 5:23 PM
Bolshevik-: Thats a definition you cherry picked from the dictionary
You just admitted that it was a definition.

Besides, if you are accusing me of "cherry picking" a definition, aren't you doing the same thing by giving a different definition?

The fact of the matter is, it IS a definition. Atheism is a faith-based religion.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 24 2015 5:28 PM
Bolshevik-: ...Atheists are not religious
Since a definition of religion is "a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith", atheists are religious because they have faith in evolution and they argue it with ardor and passion usually.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 24 2015 5:34 PM
Bolshevik-: Atheists argue that God does not exist (some of them very vehemently); and they hold on to that principle very emotionally. And it takes a lot of faith to believe that God doesn't exist. It is a religion.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Aug 24 2015 6:00 PM
It doesn't matter

#PointlessSemanticDebates2015
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Aug 24 2015 6:58 PM
Krazy: STALIN: Atheists argue that God does not exist (some of them very vehemently); and they hold on to that principle very emotionally. And it takes a lot of faith to believe that God doesn't exist. It is a religion.

That is because God does not exist. There is no scientific proof of it. I'm assuming atheists are also religious because they argue that the sky is blue, the grass is green, and the earth is round as well as everything else that is true.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 25 2015 5:00 AM
Bolshevik-: Ultimately, everybody knows that God exists. It says in Romans 1:20:

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—His eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse

Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1 basically say the same thing. Ultimately, you know that He exists. But here is the reason why you lie to yourself and deny His existence. If God exists, then we are accountable for our actions. If He doesn't exist, then we can do whatever we want while having no consequences. So you (and every atheist) try to convince yourself that He doesn't exist. But ultimately you know He's real.
Bolshevik-
By Bolshevik- | Aug 25 2015 5:52 AM
Krazy: Unfortunately I do not know He's real. As much as I wish for your wisdom, I do not have it. Also, quit bringing the bible up. There's enough propaganda in this world without you giving more.
Krazy
By Krazy | Aug 25 2015 7:00 AM
Bolshevik-: Why would I quit bringing it up when you haven't given one single reason for how it's untrue? Here is a collection from this forum so far of your arguments against the Bible:

...the Bible which is basically a piece of trash not worth reading
..the Bible is just a piece of propaganda to brainwash people

Is this your logical argument against the Bible? All you've made is claims. You haven't referenced a single verse.

You claimed that it is propaganda multiple times. Perhaps now would be a good time to back-up your claim?
Page: 1234567891011Most Recent