EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

The Real Democracy

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 8:07 AM
Here's what I posted in the shoutbox.
I'm conflicted. I'm fully convinced that the majority of Americans should not have voting power now. Not because of their opinions, but the ignorance they use to solidy those opinions.
One thing I pride myself on is that I'm very open minded in new concepts. Probably expressing this for the millionth time, but I'm disgusted by those who claim to be democratic and then shut out oppositional views like they're dangerous
I never thought my views would change so drastically in such a short period of time. Yes, there has been some build up, but it is a huge revelation. Democracy is authoritarianism for the majority. Minority views can't survive in a democracy. They can only attempt to influence the majority. What if the majority just isn't willing to listen? Seems like we'll always be giving the minority the finger
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 8:12 AM
I will concede that there are solutions to give minorities more right. The majority are usually disadvantaged at least slightly and rarely budge. I know in many small countries there can be up to 25 parties. Many of which serve to protect the interest of a specific minority. Maybe I'm just a bit isolated from multi-party systems. I'm not living in America for that much longer, but I certainly wont be voting D or R anytime soon. I need to start creating the change I want to see.
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 11:58 AM
Blackflag: In the past I've argued how our system allows minority parties to hold majorities to ransom and make any demands they please on major parties to form a government. It's similar to why Germany's government once had both opposition parties join forces in government. In our government we once had it where the majority parties refused to budge forcing a new election to be held. There are certainly complex, often subtle power dynamics in democracies that other forms of government lack.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:08 PM
admin: This happens when countries try to fix this problem using the wrong methods.
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 12:22 PM
Blackflag: I think the method is on the right track, democracy can always do with fine-tuning lol.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:41 PM
admin: It is on the right track for those not being swung at by the strong arm of democracy.
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 12:44 PM
Blackflag: There was once a time in this country where it would be unheard of for a party like the Greens, say, to have any real political influence. Now even one-seat parties can have a huge influence. Just a balancing act. It's more balanced now than before.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 12:51 PM
admin: Except here it is just two parties engaged in an endless devastating power struggle
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 16 2014 2:29 PM
In other news, what country are you going to be living in soon, if not America?
admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 3:11 PM
Blackflag: Because you haven't fine-tuned your system in, like, 300 years.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 16 2014 10:06 PM
admin: Well I disagree. We made great changes to our system several times throughout history. The capitalist revolution is a great example, and all the economic reforms of the new deal. I think the constitution's legislative process is very fair excluding the electoral college system. By the way, the Democrats and Republicans aren't constitutionally protected. They've just become so well established among the population that it becomes impossible for them to lose power.

admin
By admin | Dec 16 2014 10:09 PM
Blackflag: Your policies have changed but your electoral system and government structure is exactly the same. That's kind of the main part of what democracy encompasses. You could have had something like the new deal, for example, under an empire or something.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 17 2014 7:11 AM
admin: Well yes. What aspects of the legislative process need changing?
admin
By admin | Dec 17 2014 11:56 AM
Blackflag: This needs changing I think:

Democracy is authoritarianism for the majority. Minority views can't survive in a democracy. They can only attempt to influence the majority. What if the majority just isn't willing to listen? Seems like we'll always be giving the minority the finger

Minority voices need to be heard more. There are several ways to do that, and that might be an interesting discussion, but I can't give easy answers.
Let's revive the forums!