EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

For Refrence: Extended CX between Plutarch and Joe

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Nov 2 2014 5:55 AM
Me and Joepbr did an extended cx over chat log for our Brazilian debate. I'm putting it here so I can reference it in the actual debate. Only included cross examination messages.

Plutarch: This debate with you is going to be hard. I can barely scrap up any information on the candidates stances. The party Aecio represents can't even be determined left or right

Joepbr: Hey, sorry I didn't answer the cross-examination, I hadn't noticed there was only 1 day for it, is there anything you wanna ask?

Plutarch: Yeah, what are the big issues in Brazilian politics

Joepbr: well, I guess right now it's the economy, but also, since last year's protests people have been discussing several issues, specially the way politics work, there are several proposals for political reform

Plutarch: Also, what would be considered "left" and what would be considered "right" in Brazil

Joepbr: as for left and right, it's kind of complicated, since whoever governs must make deals with parties of opposite ideology, so things get very mixed

Plutarch: the PSDB was created to be a left wing party, but to govern it had to make an alliand with the right wing DEM and PMDB, and faced an opposition that was further on th eleft, so it grmoved towards the right

Plutarch: Is Aecio Neves more left or right?

Joepbr: What would you consider left or right?

Plutarch:
Right: Economic Liberalism, Social Conservatism
Liberalism: Economic Conservatism, Social Liberalism

Joepbr: ]Well he isn't social conservative for sure (but he tries to hide it since most of his voters are), as for economy, he does supports less control of the economy and he is famous for cutting spending as governor, but I he isn't as right wing in this matter as most americans.