EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Plagerism isn't wrong.

< Return to subforum
Krazy
By Krazy | Jan 13 2017 1:35 PM
Everybody owns the English language. I don't know how this idea originated that using words that other people use for yourself is wrong. They say it's stealing. No, stealing is taking something from somebody else, and then they don't have it anymore. Plagerism doesn't qualify because if you take somebody's words, they still have them. Intellectual property doesn't exist.
admin
By admin | Jan 17 2017 5:25 AM
Krazy: Do you think it's wrong to lie and say "this is all my original work" when it isn't?
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Jan 18 2017 3:39 PM
admin: Of course lying is wrong. But nobody "owns" words. That's stupid. By that logic then everybody owns them.

admin
By admin | Jan 18 2017 3:48 PM
Krazy: Plagiarism is more commonly defined not as "stealing words" but "stealing works ". For instance, if I claimed I wrote Moonlight Sonata that would probably be dishonest, because Beethoven did all the hard work, I just pretended that it was me. Similarly in academics, if I republish an experiment I didn't actually do under my name, that's dishonest because I'm putting my name to something I didn't really do. Plagiarism is therefore when you're lying about the work you've done.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Krazy
By Krazy | Jan 19 2017 11:43 AM
admin: No, I'm talking about taking a sentence from somebody else (maybe from a book they wrote) because you thought it was true, and saying or writing it down, and people think that's wrong. I don't get it. It's like with these copyright laws. With YouTube for example, you have to ask permission from someone to use a snippet of their video, even though you would never claimed to be the one who created it.
Bi0Hazard
By Bi0Hazard | Jan 19 2017 12:46 PM
Krazy: With YouTube for example, you have to ask permission from someone to use a snippet of their video, even though you would never claimed to be the one who created it.
But would it be wrong to take a youtube video from someone else, present it, and take credit for it?
admin
By admin | Jan 19 2017 1:14 PM
Krazy: If you write a book and put on the cover "By Krazy" you're saying everything you wrote in that book (except things you've attributed) is your work (with the exception of fair use). The only time I've seen actual prosecutions for this kind of thing involved people taking whole paragraphs without attribution, as famously happened to Witi Ihimaera. A sentence you just agreed with would almost certainly be fair use in a print book. The point is you have to be honest about what material you create.

Western copyright law actually started in music. In England people were stealing William Byrd's music and claiming it as their own, so the queen said only Byrd could copy music (he had the copying right). Over time this has been liberalized so anyone can copy if they have the original author's permission or the author is dead for a while (or a few other conditions), but it has broadened to include other forms of art, including video. The point is to prevent people claiming creative works as their own even though they didn't make them. Youtube is an extreme example of that principle, but that's where it comes from.
Let's revive the forums!
Wylted
By Wylted | Jan 21 2017 1:34 AM
I don't think intellectual,property rights should exist, but we should not steal or use the work,of others, without,making an honest effort to credit them