EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Rename the Americas

< Return to subforum
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | May 29 2015 12:00 PM
In honor of the guy who actually discovered America, it should be renamed the Columbias. The United States of Columbia, North Columbia, South Columbia, etc. Do you agree?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 29 2015 12:04 PM
Dassault Papillon: No
admin
By admin | May 29 2015 12:25 PM
Dassault Papillon: I believe some other peoples may have just already been in America when Columbus arrived... let me just look up my books on native American society here... hmmm...
Thumbs up from:
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 29 2015 1:42 PM
admin: Lol. Actually the Vikings and bands of Chinese traders had reached the Americas before Columbus, not to mention the Serbian tribes which would migrate back and forth across the Bering Straight and over the arctic circle.

Maybe Swag didn't realize this though, but a lot of places are already named after Columbus, such as British Colombia. Not that I am a fan of honoring Columbus. From what I hear he was some sort of glorified douchebag. Didn't he only land in the West Indies anyways?
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 29 2015 1:47 PM
If anything we should change North America to North Cartieras
admin
By admin | May 29 2015 1:49 PM
Blackflag: Lol. Siberian tribes Stag. This time I'm certain you meant Siberian tribes, not Serbian tribes.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 29 2015 1:51 PM
admin: ... woops
Dassault Papillon
By Dassault Papillon | May 29 2015 4:06 PM
Dassault Papillon: Yeah, I already knew about the Vikings. To be fair, they landed in Greenland, which isn't really America.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | May 30 2015 2:34 AM
Dassault Papillon: The Vikings colonized Greenland extensively, but L'anxe Meadows was a viking settlement discovered in Newfoundland, Canada. They also eventually discovered a couple hovels with Scandinavian tools in northern Labrador. There are even a couple maps from Scandinavia which detail the upper Atlantic and Newfoundland

BTW, Greenland is 100% considered America in my book.