EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Some wonderful advice from an Edeb8 user

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jan 7 2015 12:45 PM
I just think it's classless to try and influence voting by any of the following methods which I've seen from numerous debators.

1. Threatening to quit the site when things don't go their way. (Notice they never do this when they win.

2. Sending out requests for votes with some additional phrase attached such as.

"A clear win for me, please vote"

"A lot of a stupid votes on this debate, do you mind voting?"

3. Arguing with the voters on the comment section

4. Specifically recruiting votes based on the biases they can exploit in the judges.

5. Requesting noobs vote, at all.

6. Requesting a vote from somebody they've been flirting with.

- Wylted

I'm very much in agreement with Wylted here. I have been asked hundreds of times on DDO to judge a debate with one of these negative connotations on it. Hell, I've asked hundreds of people to judge my debates using these negative connotations. This is a real problem that really affects judging integrity. It is one thing to ask for a judgement when it is duly needed, but this should preferably be done in public and without any other comment besides, "Hey, can you judge this?"

I will be honest when I say for all my criticism of this throughout the years, I have engaged in this myself very recently. Although for once it was unintentional. The bad deed became so hardwired into my mental framework. Is there anyway we can discourage this practice as a community.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jan 7 2015 12:45 PM
*? for last sentence
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jan 7 2015 12:55 PM
I would like to add
7. Requesting judgements from people you know will judge in your favor (due to friendship bias)
8. Unfairly and subtely appealing to judges personal opinions in the discussion section
9. Lynch mobbing judges who judge against you (riling other people up)
10. Arguing with the other debater outside the debate in hopes of changing peoples mindset before they judge
11. Intentionally making arguments for a debate outside the debate in order to sway judges in your favor external to the debate.
12. Appealing to status. Not as prevalent here, but many people on DDO have judged solely based on ELO. (Oh, pro is a noob compared to con, so pro's arguments must be better)
13. Bring up unrelated debates or discussions in order to influence a judgement. Usually about the other debater.

Besides that there are a couple grey areas which are subject to debate.
14. Making arguments specifically to influence a certain judge
15. Attacking the other debaters conduct in order to lessen their appeal to the judges

Wylted
By Wylted | Jan 8 2015 1:05 AM
Blackflag: It depends on what you mean by number 14. Arguments are meant to be persuasive and if a large segment of the voters have a certain mentality that can be appealed to, I think it's fair game.

I know I call people on their crap and it helps, but I don't think it helps too much. Number 3 is even a problem I've seen here to a certain degree but to be fair I haven't been around much at all, so it could've been a one time incident.