EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Something I encourage others to do

< Return to subforum
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jan 1 2015 2:38 PM
Read debates out loud. I have started to do this for all my debates, and even the one's I am judging. I think you should do this especially when judging.
Thumbs up from:
admin
By admin | Jan 1 2015 3:09 PM
Blackflag: I concur.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Wylted
By Wylted | Jan 7 2015 3:56 AM
I disagree. A lot of times I take notes as I read the debate but Reading it aloud does nothing to increase my comprehension. I understand it increases comprehension for a good amount of people, though.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Jan 7 2015 7:13 AM
Wylted: The reason for reading debates out loud, is because we treat debating as we would in real life here. Debate rounds are actually speeches, and we put emphasis on persuasion and speech, over burden of proof, because actual debates are not measured by the DDO BOP phenomenon. Reading debates out loud greatly improves ones perception on who was more persuasive, and I think it attracts the whole essence of the arguments. Inflection is one of the most essential parts of public speaking and debate, and it really cannot be understood through reading.

Admin understood the importance, which is why he implemented a feature that reads completed debates out loud.
admin
By admin | Jan 7 2015 3:51 PM
Blackflag: which is why he implemented a feature that reads completed debates out loud

Actually it was because a certain user claimed they were too lazy to read a debate.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Jan 7 2015 4:34 PM
admin: Plus it's cool.