EDEB8 - Ultimate Online Debating
About Us   Debate    Judge   Forum

Idea for winner-deciding rule change

< Return to subforum
Page: 12Most Recent
admin
By admin | Dec 24 2014 12:50 PM
In RATED debates, the system wouldn't change.

In UNRATED DEBATES however, in the event of a tied-points scenario, the debate would show up as a tie. Win percentage etc would not be affected in any way by tied debates.

Does this seem like a good move to people? I feel like I'm alone in supporting the no-ties system lol.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
9spaceking
By 9spaceking | Dec 24 2014 11:58 PM
admin: no tie system?? No way. If two people are equally matched, then they are equal! Not one random person wins!
Master of awesomeness
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 4:58 AM
admin: There's obviously a fundamental disagreement within the community. I think you should allow tied debates, or create a more comprehensive system.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 4:58 AM
admin: Or allow debates to continue until the tie is broken
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 7:31 AM
Blackflag: The current system is very comprehensive: pro wins every debate that would otherwise be tied.
I'm the main developer for the site. If you have any problems, ideas, questions or concerns please send me a message.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 7:32 AM
Blackflag: This would break the idea of a debate being structured in a set way, one of the few things formal debate requires.
Let's revive the forums!
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 7:34 AM
9spaceking: Well, it's not random.

My proposal, as you can see, would be to allow ties whenever elo would not be affected. I think that could be argued to be fair, even though it is a major code change.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 25 2014 10:39 AM
I like no ties. If Pro is not negated, then they SHOULD win.
That being said, I see no problem with your proposal.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 10:53 AM
nzlockie: Pro can be negated. There just lacks a judgement to validify it.
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 10:55 AM
nzlockie: If you tied 4 to 4 in a debate with someone, and you lose simply because you're con, do not tell me you wouldn't have a problem with that.
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 11:06 AM
Blackflag: Well I would only have a problem with there being not enough judges. I'd rather create more incentives for judging.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 12:12 PM
admin: also, this is unrelated, but I noticed a lot of judges using the feedback tab for their main decision.
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 12:13 PM
Blackflag: Tell that to the judges.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 12:14 PM
admin: I would, but you can only comment on a full decision. I witnessed this three times now with different people.
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 12:15 PM
Blackflag: It doesn't need to be a comment. You can send them a message.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 12:18 PM
admin: That, or we can find a way to educate people on what they're doing as they're giving a judgement. The four times value thing might be causing them to only use the feedback tab.
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 12:19 PM
Blackflag: No, because you only get the 4 points if you give enough reasons AND feedback. With feedback alone you can't even get 3 points.
Let's revive the forums!
Blackflag
By Blackflag | Dec 25 2014 12:20 PM
admin: Exactly, but I think that is presented in a misleading way
admin
By admin | Dec 25 2014 12:28 PM
Blackflag: Well feel free how you think we could clarify. I thought the about page explains it clearly enough.
Let's revive the forums!
nzlockie
By nzlockie | Dec 25 2014 6:17 PM
I'm good with tied decisions resulting in a loss for me. Tbh, my win-loss means very little to me. Im mostly interested in hearing how my argument was interpreted.
The main thing that bugs me in judging is when I feel that judges genuinely havent even read my argument, or when they've inserted their own opinion into their decision.
Thumbs up from:
Page: 12Most Recent